Saturday, October 5, 2013

Mount Hagen Organic (Decaf) Instant Coffee

 
 
I gave up regular coffee (with caffeine) about a year ago, for health reasons.
 
It was hard to kick the caffeine habit initially. But I got past the few withdrawal symptoms I had (excessive tiredness, brain fog, low energy, nausea) after about a week and I'm so glad that I made this decision. Excessive caffeine consumption is not good for anyone and there were days when I drank a lot more coffee than I should have.   
 
But I still LOVE the smell of coffee and the taste of it too, so when I found out about Mount Hagen Organic Decaf Freeze Dried Instant Coffee, I  was excited about giving it a try.
 
 
Product Information from the InterNatural Foods Website:
 
Mount Hagen organic instant freeze dried coffee was the first certified organic instant coffee in the world. This coffee has special appeal for those interested in organic coffee with the convenience of an instant. It's great for travelers, campers, and small households. Made from 100% arabica beans, Mount Hagen organic instant coffee is shade grown at higher elevations which produces a naturally flavorful, yet mild taste. One 3.53 oz. jar yields approximately 60 generous cups of delicious coffee.

For those that love coffee but don't want the caffeine, there is Mount Hagen instant organic decaf coffee. Mount Hagen instant organic decaf coffee uses a patented process involving just water and carbon dioxide to extract virtually all of the caffeine without removing the rich aroma and full-bodied taste. A 3.53 oz. jar yields approximately 60 generous cups of delicious decaffeinated coffee.

 
***
 
By comparison to other instant coffee brands that I've tried over the years (with and without caffeine) Mount Hagen Organic Decaf Freeze Dried Coffee is definitely one of the better ones I've tasted. It's not on par with brewed coffee, but that's not to be expected, with any instant coffee.

Instant coffee is a handy convenience and this one has a rich, satisfying flavour.

 I'm so glad it's organic too. That's very hard to find in any instant coffee.
 
Although I enjoyed this product, when it comes to instant hot beverages, my first preference is still:

 Caf Lib Organic


 I've tried many types of grain- based hot beverages over the years in addition to various brands of coffee and Caf Lib  (click to read my full review) continues to be my fav hot beverage choice overall.
 
If you are looking for alternatives to regular coffee with caffeinebut don't want to give up coffee completely: Mount Hagen Organic (Decaf) Instant Coffee is one you might want to try.
 
 
Overall rating for this product: Very Good. 4 out of 5
 
 
 
 
 

17 comments:

  1. I don't think we get that coffee here. I gave up coffee years ago for the same reasons you did, but in my case I couldn't adapt to decaf. If we go out for a meal I do have a very occasional floater coffee but to go back to drinking pints of it would kill me off. I'm a fan of lemon and ginger tea and the occasional peppermint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to ask, what is a "floater" coffee, I've never heard that term before! ;<) The lemon and ginger tea sounds marvelous. Yumm...

      Delete
  2. have a nice day

    [http://myblog-lunchbreak.blogspot.com/2013/10/1294.html]

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can perfectly understand your decision to quit coffee. Luckily, I have not got a caffeine habit. One or two cups a day still do the trick for me.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can remember in my younger days thinking nothing of drinking 10 cups of strong, brewed coffee in a day! Needless to say, I didn't sleep much either. NOT a good idea. If you can keep it at 1 or 2 cups a day, that's great.

      Delete
  4. Good for you for persevering and finding a product that works for you, along with tasting great.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do a lot of product searches online, looking for review ideas. When I found out about Mount Hagen, I was excited to give it a try. You know how much I like organic (in all things!) ;<)

      Delete
  5. Great review. The Mount Hagen tastes good and I like that it's organic too, you don't see that in instant coffee, especially the decaf kind. I also like Caf Lib Organic too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still prefer Caf Lib too, but this coffee is a good product. And it certainly has a rich coffee flavour, especially considering it's instant.

      Delete
  6. I can almost never tell the difference between instant coffees. I don't like them anyhow, but I agree that decaf is best. I am cutting down gradually - now about half and half.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny, I like the convenience of instant coffee but I agree, a lot of them don't have enough taste to make them worthwhile buying. But this particular product has a rich, full flavour and it's superior to any other instant coffee I have tried. The decaf and organic are bonuses too! ;) Good for you for cutting back on the caffeine. I think it's something that's a concern for more and more people. Caffeine can be harmful in large amounts.

      Delete
  7. I can almost never tell the difference between instant coffees. I don't like them anyhow, but I agree that decaf is best. I am cutting down gradually - now about half and half.

    ReplyDelete
  8. G., I can't imagine that but I did go down from one pot to just one very large mug and i know that my organic store has coffee but it's real coffee, also delicious, but my favourite is Cuban, I can't imagine how you managed to stop drinking coffee I mean I mean I stopped smoking 2 packs a day for almost 20 years now but giving up my morning coffee, hmmm don't know if I could

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like it would be worth trying. We use a blend of decaf and caffeinated beans. It really does help to cut down on caffeine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good idea. I use to drink a lot of half-caf type coffees too. This one is good though, you really can't tell it's decaffeinated. :<)

      Delete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...