Monday, September 23, 2013

Johnny English (DVD)


 
I've never been a big fan of Rowan Atkinson in his role as the famous mime: Mr. Bean.
 
But on a recent trip to a local thrift store, I found a VHS version of the movie: Johnny English and I am so glad I decided to buy it!
 
 
What a treat this movie was, from start to finish.
 
Rowan Atkinson is soooo funny. I can't remember laughing that much, in a long, long time.
 
I felt great afterwards too. Laughter really is good medicine, isn't it? ;<)
 

Here's a bit about the story, from the Amazon product page:
 
He knows no fear. He knows no danger. He knows... nothing! When the priceless Crown Jewels are stolen, bumbling Johnny English (Rowan Atkinson) is the only Secret Agent in the country (literally!) who can solve the crime. His prime suspects: a sinister businessman (John Malkovich) and a beautiful woman (Natalie Imbruglia) with a mysterious interest in Johnny's top-secret mission. Can the clueless super spy save the day without denting the nation's pride... or his super-cool Aston Martin spy car? Your whole family will howl with laughter as the clumsiest secret agent ever unleashes an onslaught of outlandish stunts, hair-brained heroics and outrageous goof-ups in this hilarious spy spoof!
***

Many years ago, I enjoyed Peter Seller's in the Pink Panther series but at times I found these movies a bit "over the top" and just too silly to watch, especially for a second or third time.
 
 Not the case with Johnny English. Rowan Atkinson has such a great sense of timing and keeps the pace of this movie fast and funny, right to the end. Silly yes, but just right!
 
There are also some interesting special effects, beautiful locations and a cast that are the perfect compliment to Atkinson's hilarious performance, in this movie. John Malkovich as the sinister businessman with goals to take over Johnny's beloved UK for his own evil business plans, is brilliant too.
 
I liked this movie so much that I ordered the sequel: Johnny English: Reborn.
 
Can't wait to get that one, this time on DVD and fresh from Amazon. Not that there was anything wrong with the VHS copy I got of Johnny English at the thrift store, but our VCR only has so many weeks left...I'm guessing. They don't last forever, do they?
 
Whatever format you can find, if you are in need of some great family entertainment that will have everyone laughing, long and loud; pick up a copy of Johnny English. You won't be sorry!
 
Overall rating for this product: Excellent. 5 out of 5.
 
 
 


19 comments:

  1. I'm very happy you enjoyed it...for some reason i never found him funny, he just bugs me...I swear I have a sense of humour, maybe it's the accent and I just don't understand him lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said above Lorraine, I never liked the Mr. Bean shows but watched quite a few with my mom, who loved them. But this movie: Johnny English, just had me laughing and laughing...and that's always a great feeling isn't it? Too many movies I've seen that are supposedly so funny but I find them "yawners".

      Do you have any fav funny movies to share?

      Delete
    2. PS: And as far as British accents are concerned, I love those too. ;<)

      Delete
    3. I love the English accent although very often i don't understand just like in Newfoundland
      my ex-father-n law had purposely thrown me in a room of real nfld accent knowing that my being French and although bilingual wouldn't understand a word and I tried to catch a word here and there to try to talk back until I heard my father-in-law laughing his guts out, did it on purpose

      Delete
  2. Funny every time I hear the Mr. Bean part my mind goes to this guy who worked at the nursery with us, and his claim to fame was Mr. B was his cousin...who knows how true, the guy was rather flaky, but still, it's in my mind forever.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jen, how cool is that. But maybe he just wanted to be Mr. Bean's cousin. ;)

      Delete
  3. Yessss... this was indeed a very good movie.
    Had great laughs watching it.
    Good review and good luck =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in. Yes, lots of laughs, I agree.

      I got the second dvd yesterday: Johnny English Reborn. It's funny too but not as good as the first one.

      Wishing you all a week filled with laughter, G

      Delete
  4. I saw the movie and thought it was quite fun. though the sequel isn't all that great but this one's worth watching. have you seen 'Get Smart'? that one's fun to watch as well, though it is a remake of an older movie. it's similiar to Johnny English.

    hope you have a sweet day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, this movie is a lot of fun but I didn't enjoy the sequel quite as much. No, haven't seen the Get Smart movie yet, thanks for the recommendation. And a sweet day back to you Lissa.

      Delete
  5. thanks for the review
    i liked him in Love Actually, but that is really all I know of him
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brett, I vaguely remember seeing that movie too but it's Mr. Bean that Rowan Atkinson is most famous for. If you get a chance, give Johnny English a view, I think you'd love it! ;<)

      Delete
  6. Excellent review. And yes, this is truly a funny movie from start to finish. Not just stupid like some of the movies that are suppose to be so hilarious. This one delivers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely funny from beginning to end, I agree! LOTS of laughs. ;>)

      Delete
  7. just loved Rowan Atkinson as Blackadder, did you ever see that series? Mr. Bean used to repel me a bit although he was massively popular, and made him world famous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never liked Mr. Bean either but now I look back and remember watching it with my mom so many times and that makes me smile. funny how the simple things like watching a TV show together with someone you love, can be so special in retrospect.

      I'll have to check out Blackadder, I have heard of it, thanks Jenny!

      Delete
  8. sounds like a fun one, thank you for letting us know~
    lovely Autumn to you~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to you too Tammie! I'm guessing you'll be sharing some amazing photos of the season, very soon. :<)

      Delete
  9. ha. this is a funny movie...what a cool person he is as well...i have enjoyed his shows as well...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...