Saturday, October 22, 2011

Bob's Red Mill 10 Grain Pancake & Waffle Mix





For a long, long time, I was not a fan of pancakes. That might have had something to do with how my dear mom would prepare pancakes for us as kids. Made from a basic commercial mix, fried in a lot of oil and served with a big splash of syrup. Yikes!  Even as a kid, I wasn't a fan of overly sweet or heavy foods.

But in the past couple of years, I've started to enjoy pancakes once in a while for breakfast. And Bob's Red Mill 10 Grain Pancake & Waffle Mix is one of the first mixes I've tried. 

On the plus side, using this mix does make pancake-making fast and easy. Just add an egg, vegetable oil and water, mix and pour on a hot griddle or fry pan.

The ingredient list is certainly better than some of the more "mainstream" pancake mix brands that are available. Here's the list, with some additional information about this mix, from the Bob's Red Mill site:




click image to enlarge

As far as taste is concerned, that's ok too. Not exceptional; but for a mix, not bad. Nice texture, a bit grainy which I like.  And with some additions to the product, such as blueberries, apples, a dash of cinnamon etc...they taste even better.


But I've found it's almost as easy and also a cheaper option to make my own pancake mix, from scratch. I prepare (just enough for breakfast) the dry ingredients, measured and mixed together  the night before. In the A.M., I add an egg, vegetable oil, milk or a combination of milk/water and voila... quick, easy and very tasty pancakes. And with ingredients and add-ons that I choose and can vary, each time.

If you need some pancake-making inspiration, here's a pancake post I wrote a while back, over at one of my other blogs: Take A Happy Break. These pancakes are consistently good, very easy to make and almost as convenient as any store-bought mix. I like them topped with a spoonful of sugar-free blueberry jam and some veggie sausages on the side. Yummm....makes a very filling breakfast too.

Using a prepared pancake mix is a very convenient way to enjoy pancakes. But it's really not much more work to make them from scratch. If I was in a big hurry and wanted pancakes without having to buy all the ingredients to make my own pancake mix, yes I would use Bob's Red Mill 10 Grain Pancake & Waffle Mix again. I do prefer homemade though, whenever possible. A bit more time and effort required, but I think it's worth it!

Overall rating for this product: Good. 3 out of 5.


6 comments:

  1. This does sound like a good mix as an alternative to "from scratch" pancakes. I do agree that making pancakes from scratch isn't much work, and what a good idea to prepare the dry ingredients ahead of time.

    Pancakes from scratch with apple and cinnamin was one of my favourite quick suppers to prepare when my son was small. Like having apple pie for supper. :)

    I plan to try the recipe you featured in March at Take a Happy Break, it sounds yummy!
    Have great weekend!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. The Bob pancakes are ok but not as good as from scratch. Enjoyed some for breakfast this morning, by coincidence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pancakes are forbiden 'cause I could eat a mountain of them, I have no self-control I'm deeply ashamed and very sorry I've been neglecting some of my fav. blogs x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brenda, Pancakes for supper, you really do love them! I think you'll like the recipe (with the tweeks I mention) if you try it. Consistently good.

    Hi Joe, I agree.

    Hi Lorraine, They can be addictive, I agree. For me, it's usually popcorn LOL.

    Hi Kjelle, Yummy indeed.

    My previous comment seems to have disappeared. Blogger????

    Happy Week, G :<)

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the few things I can cook is pancakes. I will have to try this mix.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...