Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Beanfields: Bean & Rice Chips



I'm always on the look-out for healthier, preferably gluten-free snacks to try.
And I've tried a lot of them, in the past few months.
Some good, some ho-hum and some just plain bad!
 
On a recent trip to our local food co-op, I noted: Beanfields Bean & Rice Chips and decided to give them a try. I'm glad I did!
 
Of all the rice, veggie, gluten-free... chip snacks I've tried, these are the closest in taste/texture to actual potato chips.

So if you've been dismayed by the bad rap that most potato chips are getting these days and have been looking for a healthier alternative that still tastes like your old favs, give Beanfields Bean & Rice Chips a try. They really do taste like "the real deal".
 
I started with a bag of the Pico De Gallo and they were soooo good!
A nice spicy kick to them but not overly hot.

I've also tried the Salt n Pepper flavor. A bit milder taste for these but also good and not overly "peppery".
 
With both flavors I tried, it was that "potato-chip like" taste and texture that kept me reaching for more. And with a salsa dip, yummm...even better.

And not an overly crispy/hard texture like some of the healthier chip choices available; these were just right!
 
 
Here are some additional "good things" about these chips:
 
-29% less fat and twice the protein and fiber of most tortilla-type chips
 
-Non GMO project verified
 
-No gluten OR corn
 
-No peanuts or seeds
 
-Vegan
 
-4 grams of complete protein in a 28 gram serving
 
-Only 140 calories in a 28 gram serving
 
-No saturated or trans-fats
 
***
 
The only term that I didn't see on their ingredient list that I would have appreciated was CERTIFIED ORGANIC. Hopefully that's something that will be a consideration for future production.
 
And if you're thinking these might have an overly "beany" flavor that's unappealing, think again. I don't think I would have even known there were beans in these chips, if I had tasted them out of a sampler bowl instead of out of the bag. :<)
 
And speaking of beans, do you know just how good they are for you? You can read more about the many health benefits of beans here. I'm already a bean-lover so I didn't need to be convinced. LOL
 
 
 
Available in these flavors:
  
 
Pico De Gallo
Sea Salt
Unsalted
Salt N Pepper
Nacho



You can read more about the Beanfields company: their story, values and all products at their attractive and informative website.
 
 
Overall rating for this product: Very Good. 4 out of 5.
 
 
 


13 comments:

  1. Excellent review, as usual. These really do taste like potato chips and no beany flavor as you've mentioned. I'd recommend them too. Definitely would like to see organic though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what sets these snacks apart I think, in a big way. They really do taste like potato chips. :<)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like right up my alley...and I love Sea Salt and different flavours but I have to admit the beans on scares me....stomach problems lately lol Thanks always....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These really are good Lorraine. I love beans but I know a lot of people who have problems with eating them. Maybe not in snacks though?

      Sometimes how a food is cooked/processed makes a big difference. I can't eat broccoli raw but in a soup, no problem.

      Delete
  3. True, when I go shopping at my All organic store I'm usely more condident in trying something new

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are actually really good....i had them last night and they do have a good flavor...we had a new grocery open yesterday so lots of free samples...ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorraine, they DO have a lot of good things about them.. non-GMO etc, but yes, organic is always my preference too. Hopefully, they will be looking into that.


      Brian, Free is always nice but I've stocked up a few bags now in the cupboard, while they were on sale at our local food co-op. I'm not surprised you like them. :<)

      Happy Munching, G

      Delete
  5. Those look really good, and I love the idea that they taste like chips...ah ha guilty pleasure with out the guilt.

    My only problem with so many of these products is the price is so high..which is a shame, because frankly, it's out of the reach of so many budgets.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, nice to have the guilty pleasures with less guilt, I agree. ;<)

      A 170 gr. bag at our local food co-op was about $3. on sale, regular around 4.50 I believe and this would yield 5-6 servings so I think that's comparable to the better brands in regular potato chips. They are very satisfying too, which is something that's missing from a lot of snack foods that actually make a person hungrier!!

      Happy Munching, G

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. are yummy Brett, let me know if you give them a try. :<)

      Delete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...