Monday, September 30, 2013

Jane Fonda Prime Time: Firm & Burn DVD



This is the third DVD in the Jane Fonda Prime Time DVD series that I've reviewed here at My Real Life Reviews. And it's the first one that I'm not that really pleased with.
 
 
Here are my previous Prime Time DVD reviews:
 
 
 (scroll down a bit on this gift suggestion page, to the DVD's mini review)
 
 
***
 
Now getting back to this particular DVD:

Jane Fonda: Prime Time Firm & Burn.
 
 
On the plus side:
 
I loved the music in this one. It's all aerobic-type dancing on this DVD and the music is retro, funky and fun; provided by a live band on the set with Jane and her students. Nice touch.
 
 
The DVD includes a 5 minute warm-up, followed by three separate dance routines:
 
Doo-Wop, Latin and Old-School Funk (each of these are 10 minutes) 
 
 followed by a 5 minute cool down to complete the workout.
 
All three workouts can be played together or a person can pick and choose which ones they want to do. The DVD plays separate sequences for each or all of them, if preferred. I appreciate that feature as it's annoying to have to keep going back to the main menu in some exercise DVD's to continue on to another routine.
 
The DVD also includes an optional 18 minute meditation segment.
 
 
What I didn't like about this DVD?
 
 It didn't provide a strenuous enough workout to make it worthwhile. At the end of the 3 dance routines, I hadn't even come close to breaking a sweat. No "burn" here!
 
I got a bit bored with some of the dance moves. Rather ho-hum and repetitious.
 
But I do think it would be OK for someone who is: just getting back to exercising, is rather out of shape and who enjoys routines that are mainly dance-type moves. And these aren't hard moves to master.
 
The meditation segment was a bit strange. It had some breathing suggestions that I do not agree with. Breathing through the mouth is a big no-no health-wise for so many reasons but that is part of this segment. What's with taking gulps of air through the mouth? Like I said, kind of strange and not relaxing either.
 
There is a mention of needing weights on the back of this DVD but they aren't used at all. Don't know why they included that.
 
I think Jane Fonda fell short (no pun intended) on this particular exercise DVD.
 
 I love the other two that I have mentioned above and I use them on a regular basis. But I will probably be donating this particular DVD to our local library/ free box.
 
Overall rating for this product: Fair. 2 out of 5.
 
 


9 comments:

  1. I remember doing her videos waaaay back when, didn't know she one's out for the "mature" set
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane Fonda was 72 when she made this video and she looks amazing! Goes to show you that exercise can really pay off in the long run too. ;<)

      Delete
  2. Excellent review but it sounds like she fell short on this one. Breathing like that is a definite no no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the breathing part. But I'm so happy to have her other DVDs in this series that I like very much. Plan to do the Walk About later today.

      Delete
  3. I love dancing above all exercise and even yoga, that i put up with I love dancing, just have to make sure downstairs neighbours are awake....thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's always good to be mindful of the neighbours in an appt. ;<)

      Glad to hear you are giving yoga a try too.

      Delete
  4. This is good to know. A workout has to be really good for us to stay at it! You did a good review! Thanks! And enjoy the weekend! I'm going to get outside some and walk tomorrow! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the other two Prime Time DVD's I have, especially the Walk Out. An easy and fun way to add 10000 steps to a day. And yes, walking is such a good thing, I agree.

      Hugs back to you, G

      Delete
  5. Just got her AM PM yoga one from the library, guess I should actually break it out of its case before I have to take it back.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...