Saturday, March 2, 2013

Stitch 'N Bitch Superstar Knitting by Debbie Stoller



I've been a fan of Debbie Stoller's knitting books since the first Stitch 'N Bitch book was published back in 2004.
 
Since then, there's been several additions to this book series including:
 Stitch 'N Bitch Superstar Knitting Going Beyond the Basics: published in 2010. 
 
And once again, Debbie did not disappoint!
 
 
I love so many things about this book. Debbie Stoller takes on the more challenging techniques and types of knitting: Fair Isle, Cables, Intarsia, Lace, Knitting with Beads, Steeks...and makes it all seem not only doable but fun too!
 
 
Speaking of Fair Isle, I recently tried this type of knitting for the first time, after reading the chapter on Fair Isle in Superstar Knitting and I was FINALLY feeling it was something I could actually do.
Ironically, the pattern I made: Fairly Easy Fair Isle Cardigan was featured in one of Debbie Stoller's previous books: Stitch N Bitch Nation.
 
But just reading the pattern and other articles on Fair Isle had left me with a number of questions that were all answered in Stitch 'N Bitch Superstar Knitting, including how to easily incorporate the yarn "floats' along the back of the knitting.
 
Yes, there are floats in knitting and they have nothing to do with water. ;<)
 If you're a knitter, you'll know what I mean.
 

Here's a photo of my finished results:
 
 
Not too shabby for a first Fair Isle try!!!
 
You can read more about this project here.
 
If I can learn Fair Isle, any knitter can!!! ;<)
 
 
And a big part of tackling this project and completing it successfully was feeling confident enough to try Fair Isle, after reading the instructions in Superstar Knitting.
 
If you've been looking for a easy-to-understand, "go to" guide for taking your knitting to the next level, Stitch 'N Bitch Superstar Knitting is a resource book, you'll refer to again and again. Complete with excellent diagrams throughout that are easy to understand too! And I've seen a lot of knitting books that fall short when it comes to the diagrams!
 
In addition to the instructions for a variety of knitting techniques, the book includes a beautiful selection of 41 original patterns: including something for everyone in the family and incorporating many of the skills you'll learn in this book.
 
I love the Tiptoes (toe) socks, Gretel Tam, Crush Shrug, Leafy Lace Cardigan, Life Aquatic Pullover and Dress to Impress Baby Sweater to name but a few.
 
The only addition I'd like to see in this book is adding yarn weights to the patterns, not just listing the actual yarn that was used in the design as photographed.
 
There are a lot of times that I'm trying to use up a stash yarn or can't find a particular recommended yarn. I find it most helpful if a pattern lists the actual weight/type of the yarn required (worsted, lace, bulky...) so that a substitute yarn can be used successfully too.
 
 
If you're already a fan of Debbie Stoller's work, you'll definitely want to add this one to your collection. And if you've never checked out the series before, Stitch 'N Bitch Superstar Knitting is a great place to start! Would make a thoughtful gift too.
 
 
Overall rating for this book: Very Good. 4 out of 5.
 
 


12 comments:

  1. So far I am not a knitter, I have done the very occasional project in my teen years...but anything that makes a craft easier and more enjoyable is good to me.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Jen. I have a lot of craft resource books and a lot of them languish on the shelves. This is definitely an exception to that. A book I've picked up again and again. Have several patterns picked out in it too. You really should give knitting another try, but it is so addictive so that's something to consider too, depending on how much time you have to spare. LOL

      Delete
  2. A good friend of mine is a knitter. She loves it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Fair Isle sweater turned out great so if this book was part of making that happen, it was well worth getting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. :<) One of the best knitting books I've ever had!

      Delete
  4. You did well with the Fair Isle. I was a knitter but never mastered how to get it neat on the reverse side. Sadly my knitting days are long gone... the old fingers, you know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's so sad Val. We take things for granted (at least I tend to) until something happens like what you're saying about your fingers. I'm struggling with a knee injury right now and I am not a happy camper about having to walk slowly etc, becaused of it. I hope you can get back to knitting some time soon. It's one of my fav hobbies. My Fair Isle was a simple design but it did turn out nice, even the inside looks pretty good!
      :<)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. thanks Lorraine! I even impressed myself, getting this completed and looking good. :<) Need a new knit project to start now, it's been a while...

      Delete
  6. ha. the name she goes by is funny...and i would be impressed with myself too....very nice....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the books in the series is called: The Happy Hooker, how's that for a fun title/name? ;<) that's a wonderful choice for crocheters, I have it and refer to it a lot!

      A lot of men are knitting now, ever considered it?

      Happy Wednesday, G

      Delete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...