Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Vickie Howell Sheep(ish) Yarn

 
 
 
I recently finished my first pair of knit handwarmers. I wrote a post about this project at my cooking and craft blog: Veggies, Yarns & Tails that you can read here, which includes the link to the easy pattern.
 
I love the pattern and how toasty these handwarmers keep my hands and wrists on cold days, when I'm typing a lot.
 
But the yarn I used:
 
 
 
 


Caron Vickie Howell Sheep(ish) Yarn left a lot to be desired.
 
 
This is a 70% acrylic, 30 % wool blend yarn in a worsted weight, 3 oz. skeins.

 It was (very) annoying to work with as the yarn kept splitting and flattening out on the needles. But I persevered and completed the handwarmers, as I had already wound the skein into a ball and it would have been a hassle to return.;<)
 
I was reading more about this yarn today online and it's described at some sites as a roving type yarn, which is usually a much heavier, coarser type of yarn. That is not mentioned on the ball band on this yarn and the 5 MM needle size recommended is in keeping with an average worsted weight yarn NOT a bulky weight yarn. Again, it wasn't what I wanted or was expecting when I ordered this yarn online (sight unseen!)
 
 
As you can see in the handwarmer photo above, the finished results had a fuzzy appearance. Again, not what I wanted or expected. If you don't mind working with yarn that splits and flattens on the needle, this one might be OK but there are much better choices for worsted weight yarns available, lots of them actually.
 
I'm making another pair of these handwarmers right now in a nice bright gold yarn to wear over thin black gloves for outdoor wear and I'm already much happier with the results, after knitting just one cuff so far.
 
If you're looking for a smooth, easy to work with worsted weight yarn, keep looking!  Caron Vickie Howell Sheep(ish) Yarn is not one I'd recommend.
 
 
Overall rating for this product: Unsatisfactory. 1 out of 5. 


10 comments:

  1. Ah ha the review queen strikes again...and another honest and truthful review.

    I don't knit, but I sure could use some of those hand warmers, maybe I will take it up again. And I will be sure not to get that yarn. I love your reviews.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent review. You did a good job of these especially considering the challenges of using this yarn. You're next pair in the other yarn should be even nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so talended love the review, you're so intelligent, again Joe is so lucky...could you invent anything that would be cold on my skin I'm always burning up lol who knows what you can do with your extremely genius artistic brain x

    ReplyDelete
  4. very cool gloves...used to have a pair of fingerless gloves when i worked outside so i could still write....nice looking color too....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jen, LOL, strikes again indeed! It's great to be back to writing reviews. Thanks for your kind words. And if you're looking for an easy knit pattern to get back to the craft, give this one a try. These are worked on straight needles not in the round, and sewn afterwards. I'm looking forward to finishing my gold pair, they look so nice so far.

    Hi Joe, It was not great yarn to work with but I'm glad I finished these. They are warm and toasty!

    Hi Lorraine, Thanks dear friend. Your support means a lot. I'll have to think on that heat problem, re: further suggestions. Sorry to read this.

    Hi Brian, Thanks Brian, they are great to wear for typing and I type a lot and fast. Didn't know if they'd be annoying to wear for this LOL. So many bloggers I know mention wearing fingerless gloves for knitting, typing etc, now I can understand why. :<)

    Happy Wednesday, G

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just bought a pair of hand knitted hand-warmers, they're great! I can't knit AT ALL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great. Ger, can I pay you to make me a couple of pair of these?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought the yarn colors were so pretty! I was excited to give Sheep(ish) a try and knit a pair of socks with turquoise(ish) and teal(ish)(purchased on sale at Bernat), using the darker color for the top, heel and toe. They are pretty to look at and okay to wear, but man oh man what a fight it was to knit them up! I had to force myself to start the second sock and persevere. The yarn tangled on itself and unspun itself as I knitted. I had to keep rolling the skein to wind the yarn back up. I have not washed the socks yet, so I don't know if the very long worked in tails (lots of color changing) will keep from unraveling. An acquaintance said she knitted a scarf with this yarn and had to use super glue to keep the scarf from unraveling.
    Thanks for the review--it confirms I am not just being a curmudgeon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just finished a hat with this yarn and I agree with you. This yarn does leave a lot to be desired. Thick in some areas and very thin in others. Also, on the skein color called "earth (ish)" there is a pattern for a neck warmer that I could never find online. There was a website mentioned that doesn't exist. It says www.caron.com/vickiehowell but the site never came up. Oh well I guess I'll look for another pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agreed...the yarn leaves a lot to be desired. Knit a hat and the yarn was tangly and it was so thin in some areas and very thick in others. On the color skein called "earthish" there was a pattern for a neck warmer that I could not find on the internet. Guess I'll have to find another pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...