Saturday, June 22, 2013

So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk Frozen Dessert

 
 
I'm always on the look-out for good, dairy-free alternatives, especially when it comes to frozen dessert treats.
 
 
 
On the plus side, this is a dairy-free dessert that includes organic coconut milk. You can read more about the nutritional benefits of coconut milk here and many other articles online. And when it comes to coconut milk, organic is the only way to go.
 
The processing of coconut milk can vary quite a bit and getting the organic type really is worth the bit of additional $$ it might entail. And not just for frozen desserts like these; coconut milk products are showing up everywhere these days!
 
So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk Frozen Dessert Cherry Amaretto is packed with cherries and I do mean packed. Nice big chunks throughout. Not like some fruit ice creams where it's hard to find even small pieces of fruit, let alone chunks.
 
What I didn't like about this product was the sweetness. It was overly sweet, taking away from the cherry flavour.
 
I also thought the texture of the product could have been smoother. It didn't have that nice velvety texture that I've enjoyed with other coconut milk frozen desserts like: Luna & Larry's Coconut Bliss Bars (click to read my full review). The texture of desserts like this really does make a difference and So Delicious brand didn't get top marks, in this respect.
 
A 500 ML. container cost about $6. at our local food co-op, so it is about average for frozen dessert products like these.
 
 
Ingredients:
 
ORGANIC COCONUT MILK (WATER, ORGANIC COCONUT CREAM), ORGANIC AGAVE SYRUP, CHERRIES (BLACK CHERRIES, DRIED CANE SYRUP, CHERRY CONCENTRATE, NATURAL FLAVOR, LOCUST BEAN GUM, CITRIC ACID), CHICORY ROOT EXTRACT, CAROB BEAN GUM, GUAR GUM, NATURAL FLAVOR.
 
 
So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk Frozen Dessert Cherry Amaretto was OK but not great. I probably won't be buying it again, mainly because it was just too sweet.
 
 
Overall rating for this product: Fair. 2 out of 5.  
 
 

12 comments:

  1. Excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent review and I agree, this was just too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. too bad it had a lot of promises, coconut oil, but too too sweet is disgusting, I found a coffee place while I was looking for something it has a swiss coffee I had never heard of it, so I thought well order one, a small one just in case, I barely managed to not spit in the casher's face, it was like drinking melted sugar I threw it out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can so relate L, when something is overly sweet, that's all you taste, just the sugar. I don't know why manufacturers go "overboard" sweetening products to excess.

      I can picture that coffee shop scene, I'm sure the cashier was glad you didn't either. ;<)

      Delete
  4. LOL yeah I thought so too lol tell me your opinion on soy the more I read the more people say that It's harmful yet I don' t remember being in any way uncomfortable while I had soy I loved eveything, did they discover something harmful, I'm out the loop on this, so what's your take? YOU, I trust, you're just about the only one xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so kind L, thank you for that vote of confidence. I've read good and bad things about soy. I still eat products made from soybeans, usually only organic though. It's been a staple food in parts of the world for a long time, I think the good outweighs any concerns about soy. IMO only, of course! If you Google soy, benefits of soy etc...you'll certainly find a lot of articles to consider.

      Delete
    2. No kidding half are for half are against , but like you I care more about the organic

      Delete
  5. ah that stinks i was getting all kinds of excited over the flavor...cherry, yum...and the healthiness but then the overpowering sweetness...that stinks....glad you give a balanced review or honest one...i appreciate that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cherry anything Brian. Speaking of cherry ice cream, I tried the one by Luna & Larry this week and it's amazing! And lots of chunks of fruit in that one too but NOT too sweet, just right. So go get some of that brand if you gotta have some cherry ice cream! Thanks for your kind words re: my reviews, I try!

      Delete
  6. I need to go on a diet , weight watchers worked for me, I can't do Atkins, I love organic food, but I can't afford it, and those high fat diet kill me proteins just don't agree with me, and I can't do 45 minutes jogging anymore behind on the top floor I've already had a complaint that i walked too heavy, I walk a lot though, and you could stay i do strength training from all the heavy I have to carry and then walk up the stairs.. Everything out there is high protein I don't eat meat I hate eggs...anyhoo the stupid pills they gave me to kill my high thyroid has killed my metabolism to the point that i gain like crazy, and yet at the latest test it once again said my Thyroid was too high....and some say soy causes thyroid problems and some say soy helps thyroid problems and I don't cook but sticking something in the microwave doesn't bother me. 'Sides I wouldn't bake in that stove if someone paid gosh it's gross the person who lived there before was a pig, so gross and they don't even clean the apt before I moved in, so finally I got it clean, now it's just my stuff. Anyhoo my 10is tight and now i now i have to wear twelve and they're getting tight,....sorry complaining again

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...