Monday, August 5, 2013

Larry Payne's Prime of Life Yoga DVD series

 
 
 
As any of my regular blog readers already know, I love yoga!
 
I've been practising hatha yoga (the physical branch) on and off for over 20 years. Yoga has helped me in so many ways and continues to do so.
 
In addition to the significant physical benefits of a regular yoga practise including: increased flexibility, better breathing, improved balance and overall fitness; yoga also makes me feel calmer, more focused and even more creative. Big benefits and for such a small commitment of time.
 
I took yoga classes for many years and practised on my own at home, doing the same routines. But sometimes it's nice to have a DVD to follow along with and recently I found out about a wonderful yoga series:
 
 
Prime of Life Yoga was developed with people over 40 to 70ish in mind. As Larry Payne says, this is a large group of the population that is under served in so many ways, including when it comes to fitness.
But IMO, this series is for everyone at any age, who want to explore all the long-term benefits of a regular yoga practise. So many people still think that yoga is only for the young and flexible and not something to even consider starting to do, later in life. NOT true!
 
Yoga is a great way to improve your overall fitness and sense of well-being at any age. Yes, if you've never practised yoga before, if you have physical issues....you need to be careful, especially when you begin. Check with a trusted health care professional if you have any concerns. 
 
And don't expect headstands that first week. ;<)
 
On the plus side it is amazing what can be accomplished, if you stick with it.
 
After a long hiatus, I got back to yoga practise a few months ago and to begin with, it was hard to do even simple poses. I felt stiff, had some aches and pains...I was discouraged how much "ground" I had lost when it came to my overall flexibility.
 
But after a few weeks of perseverance, I not only got back to where I was previously with my yoga practise, I started to progress too. And a big part of that continued improvement is thanks to Larry Payne's excellent yoga DVD series.
 
I use the Immune Booster Level One DVD on an almost daily basis and it is so enjoyable and rewarding.
 
  • Larry does a great job explaining each yoga pose thoroughly and in an easy to understand way.
 
  • The pace is slow and relaxed throughout.
 
  • The woman who demonstrates the poses in the DVD has a lovely, peaceful countenance and moves through the poses with grace and expertise.
 
  •  Background music is soothing and calming and believe me, this is an important consideration when choosing a yoga DVD. Some of them leave a lot to be desired in this respect.
 
  • Larry narrates the DVD and again, gentle and soothing, when it comes to his voice and how he speaks.
 
 
 
The Immune Booster Level Two DVD is more advanced. I've used it a couple of times already and found it a bit challenging right now. But  I am working towards using this one on a regular basis too.
 
Yoga is not about being competitive. As Larry so wisely says: "challenge yourself, don't strain yourself". 
 
 But I do like to feel like I'm progressing when it comes to all my fitness pursuits and to be able to follow the Level Two DVD is one of my goals.
 
 
If you've never practised yoga before or perhaps like me, have been on a hiatus from it for a long time, I recommend starting with The Classic Beginner's Program from the Prime of Life series.
 
This is a gentle and easy way to ease into yoga practise and again, each pose is explained in a clear and concise way.
 
Dr. Larry Payne is a renowned yoga expert and has been an inspiration to thousands of people wanting to improve their overall fitness and well-being with yoga, for many years. You can read more about Larry's work, including classes, DVD's and watch several excellent informational videos at his website: Samata.Yoga. 
 
Yoga means union.
 
If you've been feeling a lack of harmony and well-being in your life, you might want to give yoga a try. The overall benefits might astound you.
 
Yoga really is like nothing else. It's had a profound and positive long-term impact in my life.
  
Namaste!
 
Overall rating for these products: Excellent. 5 out of 5.


21 comments:

  1. I'm definitely going to check this out! Thanks for the head's up. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll really find this yoga series helpful Jackie, even if you've never tried yoga before. A great place to start and to progress too!

      Delete
  2. Excellent review. This really is a great yoga dvd set and you've explained each dvd so well. And it's true, people over 40 are often a neglected group of consumers, especially when it comes to fitness products.
    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried a lot of yoga dvds and also books and classes over the years and I haven't enjoyed any as much as this series.

      And yes, so true about the "over 40" crowd, often lost in the consumer shuffle it seems. :<( Marketers of all types are missing out on a big opportunity for sales when that happens.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this excellent review, Geraldine. I used to practice yoga and meditation in my younger days and I still do regular morning exercises. I agree with you, yoga brings peace of mind as well as agility. I hadn't heard of this DVD. My old recording was on tape which I can no longer play because of the advance in technology. I wonder if the DVD is available for UK people. I'll look on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Val, Thanks for your kind words. I agree with you about the peace of mind and agility. I only regret the breaks I've taken from yoga over the years. It's always time well spent!

      If you click through the links above, it will take you to the Amazon product pages for these dvds.

      Delete
  4. ya know yoga is something i have wanted to get back into for some time....hmmm...and would be good as well the closer i get to that age group...i hit 40 in 2 weeks...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian, this would be an excellent way to get back into yoga. Yoga is good for all ages I think and the sooner we start and continue, the better! Happy (almost) Birthday to you. The big 4-0 is when life REALLY begins! ;<)

      Delete
  5. Great Review,what else is new, I love this, I keep on thinking I have to try yoga I know it would help me but I don't I mean I can't go to classes but a DVD, as soon as a make a payment on my credit card at the end of the month I'm buying.... God Knows I'm a beginner

    Hey Brian you Spring Chicken happy birthday in advance, I'm 54

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Brian is a spring chicken LOL!!! I think you'll love these DVD's Lorraine. One of the best things about doing exercises of any kind at home with dvd's is no excuses to get them done. No gym to visit, no dues to pay...just pop them in the dvd player at any time of the day and DO IT! Again, if you click through above, you'll get to the pages for these products on Amazon. And I do appreciate the affiliate clicks too! ;<)

      Delete
    2. thank you that's easy peasy and boy do they know me at Amazon, I've bough hundreds of books from them, and DVDs oh they know me they even know my preferences so thank you again, my body hurts like crazy for my lack of activities, because what I use to do in the house was rope skipping and running up the stairs and some yoga but not enough and here in the apt, I can't do any of those things so my body hurts from inaction so thanks again

      Delete
  6. My knees have been giving me a lot of trouble lately. I started doing yoga and find it helps tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can so relate Myrna. I have knee pain at times too.

      Larry narrates and he brings up "letting go" and "releasing any stress or pain" etc...several times throughout the DVD's. I love this! And it works. Concentrating and really focusing on releasing pain of any kind can really work. Like magic. Mind over matter is a powerful thing.

      Delete
  7. This sounds so good, now I just need that final push to get up and put the DVD in...it's coming, I promise.

    Great review.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you have at least one of Larry's DVDs already so there are NO excuses Jen, just get up and do it! You won't be sorry. :<) Maybe my review inspired you to begin, I hope so.

      Delete
  8. This is a great review and I'm going to give yoga a try!
    After a long day it might help we relax .

    Hope all is well Geraldine.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly worth a try Margie. :<)

      Always good to start with some qualified instruction though, via a class or DVD's such I've written about here; by an experienced, qualified teacher. There is definitely a right way and wrong way to do yoga, as is the case with most exercises. The wrong way can cause injury. :<(

      Delete
  9. A couple of coworkers of mine have really been trying to get me into yoga. I think I may try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd love yoga Keith. Definitely worth a try. :<)

      Delete
  10. Ok I'm going for it, I'm a beginner although I use to buy a magazine and some of the poses I really loved but someone I didn't do well cause i hurt myself I've learned that Yoga is not an easy way if you just mimic postures...so yes I'll buy this I need it ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so much better to use a quality DVD for any kind of exercises IMO, especially for yoga. there is the potential for injury if someone tries yoga initially without the aid of a good teacher or a DVD.

    You've made a great choice with Larry's, Lorraine. Let me know how it goes. :<) I think you'll find yoga really helpful. Give it a bit of time though, to get accustomed to the poses/asanas and to feel comfortable with all of them. It's SO worth it, in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...