Thursday, April 12, 2012

Weider Daily Protein & Fibre Drink Mix





I've been making an effort since the beginning of the year to eat healthier and get into better shape. One of the best things for me, in terms of cutting down on calories but not nutrition, is to start the day with a protein drink/smoothie.

I recently tried Weider Daily Protein & Fibre drink mix in the Berry Blast flavour.

On the plus side, this product has a fairly good ingredient list:

"Whey Protein Isolate, Inulin, Erythritol, Stevia, Natural Flavour and Red Beet Powder"

Not bad. I checked out each ingredient and they were acceptable. Some protein mixes are packed with sugar, all kinds of additives and colors....this one isn't.

It also packed a fairly good punch when it came to protein per scoopful/serving. Mixed with water, a serving provides 14 Gr. of protein. It also provides 5 Gr. of dietary fibre. The mix also dissolved easily and completely, just in a shaker. No lumps and no blender to clean either.  Calories: 106 per serving, when mixed with water. That was all good.
                       

What I didn't like about this product?


Well the Berry Blast flavour was a bit weird. Rather artificial, not a nice fresh berry taste. It had a lingering after-taste too.

And as far as being filling, again it wasn't acceptable in this regard. A couple of hours after drinking one of these smoothies, I was starving! I ended up eating more that morning than I usually do, without a protein drink! So that certainly defeated the purpose of having one. I've used protein powders in the past that kept me satisfied and feeling alert for HOURS afterwards. Not the case with this product.

Weider Daily Protein & Fibre drink mix is not the worst protein powder I've used but it certainly isn't the best either. I won't be buying it again. I probably would have tried another flavour IF it had been filling and satisfying, but that wasn't the case.
                    

Overall rating for this product: Fair. 2 out of 5.

6 comments:

  1. I've never liked to drink my food. Great review, m'dear

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't filling, I agree. And it did have kind of a strange taste too. Not bad but not great either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That seems to be the problem with these protien type shakes. I've tried a few from slim fast to the one curves puts out and they all have the same nasty after taste. The curves one they encourage you to add fruit to make a smoothie and that does help somewhat. Perhaps if you'd added some fresh or frozen fruit it might of tasted a bit better?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lorraine, Good plan my dear but sometimes a quick shake that does the trick is a good option when time is limited. Better than a smoke and a cigarette, the breakfast of a lot of people I know LOL! Not me of course.

    Hi Joe, Not too bad but definitely could be improved.

    Hi Cathy, The ingredients in this drink mix were good and it didn't have any nasty lumps when mixed (I hate that!!!) but not filling enough. I've tried some of those other brands too. I think maybe added fruit would help with this but then I'd have to wash the blender! LOL

    Happy Weekend, G :<)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Won't be trying that one then. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    Nice post. If you want you can try this 7 best protein powder for your health

    1. Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard
    2. BSN SYNTHA-6 Protein Powder
    3. Pure Protein 100% Whey Powder Vanilla Creme 1-Pound Tub
    4. Garden of Life RAW Organic Protein, 622g Powder
    5. EAS 100% Whey Protein, Chocolate, 5 Pounds
    6. Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass, Chocolate &
    7. Jarrow Formulas Whey Protein

    Regards,
    Juile Roberts

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...