Friday, March 15, 2013

Kindle Paperwhite

As the saying goes: never say never!
 
I was firmly entrenched in the "I will never own an ereader" category for a long time but not any more! I am now the proud owner of a Kindle Paperwhite, which I received as an early birthday present. :<)
 
So far, I am enjoying the Kindle Paperwhite but there were a few tense moments when it first arrived here. Well maybe not tense, but a bit frustrating!
 
I'm careful to follow the instructions with any kind of electronic gadgets,  how to set up etc..when I get a new "toy" . Yes, I actually do read the instructions!
 
Well, when it came to printed instructions with the Kindle Paperwhite, there wasn't any included with the package. I didn't know if I should charge it up first, turn it on first, did I need to be connected to WiFi for charging, set-up... as a non-techie person, I had a few questions and was left wondering how best to proceed.
 
I then checked online at Amazon and it was still rather sketchy when it came to step-by step set-up  on how to get started. And so much info. to browse through, that wasn't pertinent to what I was trying to find either. I finally just plugged it into my computer, allowed it to charge and then went ahead with the set-up, following the prompts on the Kindle itself.
 
Yes, I know that we are all trying to cut down on paper these days but a simple: Quick Set-Up Card or Page, included with the package itself, would have been most appreciated. And do they really need to send instructions in Canada and the U.S. in a gazillion different languages? I don't think so. That's sometimes the excuse for not including instructions with an item now. .
 
After getting things up and running, WiFi passwords and all (I usually don't use it, feel more secure with having my Notebook hard-wired to Internet) it was fun to try out some of the features that come with the Kindle Paperwhite.
 
I appreciated that the screen is really close to reading from an actual white paper book page, not like some of the earlier ereader models I checked out that had a greyish cast to them.
 
The page forward is so quick and easy too, without that unpleasant "scroll"  that again was what I disliked when I looked at ereaders a couple of years ago.
 
The pages load fast, no lag time. I'm a very fast reader and again, this was one of the things I didn't like about earlier ereader models I had tried out. Seemed way too slow to be pleasant to read with them. Not the case with Kindle Paperwhite.
 
The estimated reading time feature based on the speed you read, is so cool too.
 
I have noted already that the battery doesn't stay charged up as long as I had expected, when you are using the Kindle Paperwhite for hours at a time. I'm guessing this one will probably allow me about 10 hours of actual use, based on what I've noted already. Sometimes I read for hours at a time, so I guess I'll have to get use to charging this unit up on a fairly regular basis.
 
Overall, I'm happy to finally have an ereader and I'm glad that it's the Kindle Paperwhite.
 
I did a lot of research comparing the various options available with different brands/models before I decided on the Kindle Paperwhite. As is the case with any gadget, I picked out the features I thought I'd enjoy most and so far, it's exceeded my expectations. Still learning how to use all the features and feel a bit clumsy typing on the onscreen keyboard, but hopefully will improve on this in time. At least I know the keyboard, LOL and don't have to "hunt and peck" as some people do.
 
If you have an ereader, do share which brand/model you chose and why.
 
If you don't have one, are you planning to purchase one soon?
 
March 19th update:
 
 Here's the link to my Kindle (knit) Cover  that I mentioned below in a comment, in case you want to knit one too. :<)
 
Overall rating for this product: Very Good. 4 out of 5.

23 comments:

  1. I completely resisted on getting a e-reader simply because reading on screen is hard for me. you didn't mention how well the screen can be read, that I think, is the most important thing. whether the screen is too shiney or whether you can read it in low light or bright lights, that sort of thing.

    still thinking about whether to get a e-reader but in the mean time, I'm sticking to books.

    have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lissa, To expand on what I said above, yes it is easy on the eyes, in both bright light and low light. Not "shiny" at all, no glare screen.

      You really have to test one out to see if it's something you'd enjoy. I was also on the "resist list" for a long time, as I've already mentioned. ;<)

      Delete
  2. I don't have one, but can you also read blogs on them? And send and receive emails? That would be great...lol.

    Sounds like a fun toy.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, There is Internet capability with this reader, you can browse for books etc, send doc. to and from, Wiki etc. As far as email, blogging is concerned, I haven't tried checked if that's possible yet but will soon. I like that idea too. :<)

      Delete
  3. This is far superior to the earlier ereaders we checked out. The screen is easy to read and the pages do load very fast. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And easy to read in all kinds of lighting situations. It's strange that you turn the light setting down for reading in the dark though, I would have thought it would be the other way around. But it works! And you know how I love to read in the middle of the night. LOL

      Delete
  4. Never, the day I can't feel a book in my hand...I'll stop reading...'sides with all the recycling, we can still have a book in hand...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I said never too when it came to ereaders but there were too many things that came up in the past year that I wanted to download and couldn't without having an ereader. I'm glad I do now but it certainly won't take the place of printed books.

      I LOVE books too and if I did have to pick one over the other, paper books would still win out. Happily, we can have the best of both worlds. And what a lot of FREE books there are to enjoy on Kindle too, love it!

      Delete
  5. Welcome to the wonderful world of e-reading! I have had an iPad for several years and I have the apps of iBook, nook and kindle plus my library reader, Overdrive. I read on them all but mostly the kindle,reader. I also read on my iPod plus I read 'real' books also.
    I guess the bottom line is......I love to read no matter what it is on. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overdrive indeed but in a way I can totally relate. I know you're an avid reader Teri, me too. I'm lost without at least 3-4 books on the go, at all times.

      Delete
  6. i am def in the i want a real book category...my parents both use ereaders and i will admit they are nice...and have some cool features...i have enjoyed using theirs...now if it could smell like a book, there would be progress...ha....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was the last person on earth without an ereader or tablet LOL, I was wrong! I know what you mean about the "smell" of a real book, that can't be duplicated or beat. But I still love all the freebies I'm getting with my new Kindle. I downloaded over 30 books today, all free! Love it.

      Delete
  7. Jen is wanting a tablet. She thought about a Kindle Fire, but really wants an iPad. But those are pricy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are pluses for both of these, I looked at tablets too but didn't need all the apps. I think reading on an ereader is superior to a tablet though, based on what I've read. I'm very happy with how easy on the eyes my Kindle is, even in the dark!
      And I do like to read in the dark. LOL

      Kindle Fire has color capabilities which is a cool feature.

      Delete
  8. Well, I am still like you were....... nothing could beat being curled up with a book! However, I really did enjoy going down that route with you when you had to set it all up on your own. I would be useless at that so I think you are extremely brave and I wish you every happiness with your new toy!
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maggie, I love that about being brave, thank you!

      I had a printer at one point and I learned the value of reading instructions first as it wouldn't work properly, if installed using a different sequence of steps. The Kindle was much easier but I still would have appreciated a printed card/quick sheet to make sure I was doing it right the first time! LOL

      Delete
  9. I suppose it's time I join the rest of civilization and get a Kindle :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh Keith, That's how I felt, I thought I was the only person left without an ereader or tablet. ;<) I think a tablet would have been a bad choice for me though, too much access to the Internet and all. I'm staring at screens too much already LOL. If you do get an ereader, the Paperwhite is definitely one to consider.

      Kindle Fire looks pretty good too but I don' think it's avail in Canada yet.

      Delete
  10. I have a Kindle, though not the Paperwhite, yet I still hanker for real books. I had an awful time tryng to hold the Kindle with my funny fingers and in the end was forced to buy a book-like cover so that it was better balanced in my hands. So now I mix my reading, first a book, then a Kindle. I had to have Kindle anyway since some of my work is on there...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually love the "feel" of holding the Kindle as opposed to bigger books I'm reading, it's so light and compact. Funny you should mention a cover, I just posted about making knit one for my new "toy" over at:

    www.veggiesyarnsandtails.wordpress.com

    I wanted a one of a kind cover and this one worked out great.

    What Kindle do you have? The Kindle Fire looks very impressive but as I said above, not avail in Canada yet. I don't think color is avail on Paperwhite, I haven't had anything come up in color so far. That's one drawback, but a small one. LOVE all the free ebooks at Amazon.ca, I'm like a kid in a candy store, browsing over there. ;<)

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a die-hard pages in an actual book kind of gal, but you might have reformed me, Geraldine! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt exactly the same way Talon but this Kindle has changed my mind in a big way. I still love "real" books but ereaders open up a whole new world of reading enjoyment too. Best of both worlds is possible, when it comes to books! :<)

      If you do decide to get an ereader, it's definitely a good idea to 'test drive' first if possible. I did that with a couple of Kobo's from Chapters and I was not impressed at that time, with what they offered. Perhaps they've improved in the past couple of years but with a Kindle, the freebies at Amazon.ca and Amazon.com are hard to beat!

      Delete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...