Saturday, September 17, 2011

Yves Prima Veggie Burgers


I was planning to write a complete review about these veggie burgers from Yves Veggie Cuisine. But after reading this report (one of several that I found this past week online) about hexane used in the process of making some popular veggie burgers on the market, this is going to be a short review. And I won't be going  into the details about taste, price or sodium content. Not really of interest or importance compared to the bigger issues in these reports.

And here's another report, this one from Mother Jones. This one goes into more detail about the dangers of hexane.

I shudder to think how many of the "bad" brands on that list I've eaten in the past. But live and learn. That's one of the best things about the Internet and ingredient lists on packages, we can buy products as informed consumers. And we can make decisions based on our own research.
                                             

Ingredient list for Yves Prima Veggie Burgers from their Canadian website:
                              
Water, soy protein product, onions, canola oil, natural flavour (including natural cheese flavour), modified cellulose, cornstarch, egg albumen, hydrolysed soy and corn protein, evaporated cane juice, torula yeast, salt, caramel colour, carrageenan, spices, yeast extract, vitamins and minerals (thiamine hydrochloride, riboflavin, niacinamide, pyridoxine hydrochloride, cyanocobalamin, calcium pantothenate, reduced iron, zinc oxide, wheat starch).

Ingredient list for their Meatless Beef Burgers from their U.S. site:  
(and how's that for a strange product name? Oxymoron anyone!!!)

 Water, Textured Soy Protein, Vital Wheat Gluten, Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Onions, Cornstarch, Natural Flavors, Fruit Powder (Pear, Apple, Plum), Modified Vegetable Gum, Malt Extract, Salt, Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Torula Yeast, Dextrose, Carrageenan, Onion Powder, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Spices. Vitamins & Minerals: thiamin hydrochloride, riboflavin, niacinamide, pyridoxine hydrochloride, cyanocobalamine, calcium pantothenate, reduced iron, zinc oxide). CONTAINS: SOY and WHEAT. Manufactured in a facility that uses peanuts, dairy and egg ingredients

                       
I'm not planning to use any commercial veggie burgers, until I find some brands I can actually feel good about buying. And of course to buy them more than once, they've gotta taste good too!

 I'm working on some new recipes for homemade veggie burgers right now. Made some this week with lentils, veggies and a blend of herbs  (I'll share that recipe soon at my cooking blog) and they came out great. Delicious and made with no questionable ingredients.Yes, it took some time for prep work and certainly not as convenient as picking up a box of veggie burgers from the store but it's time well spent I think. I made a big batch and froze the burgers, individually wrapped so they are now just as convenient as the store-bought varieties. Much cheaper too, added bonus!!!

I will keep you posted on my quest to find a good commercial veggie burger that is not only great-tasting but healthy too. As of today, the search is still on. I will be reading those labels! Hope you are too.

Overall rating for this product: BAD. 0 out of 5.

8 comments:

  1. Very interesting! I had a black bean patty not long ago and it was delicious! Work on that one... Did you get my email with the picture attached? If not please email me and I will send it again, I think you will be able to use it now! Just edit this after the work on that... I would love to see what you came up with for a black bean patty. Hope to hear from you soon.... RaeDi

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can't buy a commercial veggie burger that you can feel good about eating, you are better off making your own. What are these manufacturers thinking? I'm glad that the Internet allows us to make informed choices now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this post. We are trading the beef for the unpronounceable junk! Yeesh. My favorite veggie burger is the portobello mushroom. Thoroughly washed! I will try your recipes, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachael, I like to experiment with all kinds of meatless burger recipes but by far the lentil-veggie ones I just created was the best! I love bean burgers too though. Yes, I did get the photo, thank you again.

    Hi Joe, Oh so true and what a cost saving as well. When I added it up over the weekend, making the lentil burgers at home was less than 1/2 the price of the commercial ones. And so much better for so many reasons.

    Hi SandyC, Not really progress, is it? I love mushroom burgers too. And what a versatile fungi the mushroom is!!!

    Thanks for stopping by, G :<)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're not kidding I've always loved soy burger, now that's an eye opener, geesh that's just not right. Thank God for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just spoken with a representative at Yves and he researched my question about the hexane and I was told that this is not used in the preparation of the ground round products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that is now the case Anne Marie, I would think that Yves should be updating their info. with the Mother Jones site. That is a very popular site and when I just clicked through now, Yves is still listed on their hexane list.

      I don't buy these burgers anymore myself. I usually make "from scratch" veggie burgers and freeze them for later. Works great and I don't have to worry about questionable ingredients or processing procedures.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. I had the Yves Veggie Burgers for the first time for dinner yesterday - Loved it! Tonight I had them again. Great tasting, great texture. I love that they're pre-cooked and really easy to prepare. I'll have to ask my wife where we bought them because they will definitely be a regular in this household.
    Harry, Toronto

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...