Sunday, September 4, 2011

Mrs. Dash (Original Blend) Seasoning Blend




As an avid cook and cookbook author, I try and use a lot of herbs and spices when preparing recipes.I like to have a wide variety of spices and herbs on hand, to experiment with flavour blends for various dishes. I usually have a well-stocked selection of the dried/crushed/ground varieties that tend to change with the seasons and my cooking preferences, as well as fresh herbs when they are more suitable for a dish. Some come, some go....

One seasoning that is always in my kitchen cupboard is: Mrs. Dash Original Blend.

This is an all-around great product:
  • It adds a significant flavour boost to most savory dishes.
  • It is salt-free.
  • Contains no MSG or other questionable ingredients.
  • Colorful. Adds an eye-appealing finishing touch. And how a dish looks is a big part of how it's perceived and enjoyed.
  • It's very reasonable price-wise considering the number of herbs and spices it contains.
                                 
From the Mrs. Dash. com website: 

An all-natural, salt-free herb and spice medley, Mrs. Dash® Original Blend brings amazing flavor to any recipe. So go ahead and add some of this perfectly balanced blend of onion, black pepper, parsley and basil to your dishes and watch them turn into truly delicious delights.

Original Blend Ingredients: Onion, spices (black pepper, parsley, celery seed, basil, bay, marjoram, oregano, savory, thyme, cayenne pepper, coriander, cumin, mustard, rosemary), garlic, carrot, orange peel, tomato, lemon juice powder, citric acid, oil of lemon.

Check out their easy-to-navigate and informative website to read about all of their products and browse a variety of recipes too.
                                      
Mrs. Dash comes in 2 sizes of containers: 192g. and 71g. The larger size is my preference and a more economical choice at about $9. here locally; that may vary depending where you live. And unlike some seasoning blends that I've purchased, then rarely used and left to get stale in the cupboard, that certainly hasn't been a concern when it comes to Mrs. Dash. I use it every day!

I'm including a recipe that includes Mrs. Dash as an ingredient, from my cookbook: Cream of Carrot Soup . With Autumn on the way and the root veggies at their peak, it's a great time to try this soup!

Mrs. Dash comes in a variety of seasoning blend choices. I've tried a couple of the others too but I always come back to the Original Blend. It's the best all-around seasoning blend that I've ever tried so why mess with a good thing!

Only one thing that I can think of that would make Mrs. Dash Original Blend even better and that's an Organic version. Perhaps it's something the company is already considering given the current and growing interest in all things organic. I hope they are.


Overall rating for this product: Very Good. 4 out of 5.

5 comments:

  1. Mrs. Dash is a great choice for a seasoning blend especially to reduce on salt consumption. It does add a lot of flavor and eye-appeal.

    The carrot soup is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like these, too. And, agree that the original mix is best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to you and your cookbook, I use it also. It does a nice flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joe, That's a bonus, re: being salt-free. A lot of spice/herb blends for sale are mainly salt. I'm glad you like the soup!

    Hi SandyL, I always go back to the Original Blend. Nice to see you back to the blogs!

    Hi Teri, Glad you gave Mrs. Dash a try. And that my cookbook/recipe was the inspiration!

    Happy Mid-Week, G :<)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use this all the time on chicken, fish and pasta.Started using it when hubby had to cut his salt intake. Love that its salt free and msg free

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...