Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Green and Black's Organic Chocolate Bars


                               


     I admit it, I am a chocoholic. A big time CHOC-O-HO-LIC!!!

What the world needs now (besides love sweet love ...) is more chocolate of the superior kind. And recently I think I found the ultimate in chocolate bars: Green and Black's Organic Chocolate Bars.

So far I've sampled and enjoyed the Cherry  (my favorite. bittersweet dark chocolate and plenty of luscious cherries), Almond (loaded with almonds), Raisin and Hazelnut (a Fruit and Nut Bar only 10 X better than the "regular" variety) and Espresso (oh, la la...if you appreciate a good cup of java you are going to LOVE this one).

The fact that these bars of  yummy delight are also organic and fair trade is merely "icing on the cake". Let's face it, we all want to buy with the "big picture" in mind these days, if at all possible. But when it all comes down to it, especially for chocolate and other treats, it's still all about TASTE as the number one must-have factor.

And delicious, rich taste ohhhhh yes, these bars have plenty of that and then some. Luscious, creamy texture, a just-right sweetness (not too sweet or bitter) and loaded with other yummy ingredients like fruits, nuts, liquors... to add to the enjoyment of each 100G bar.

 As far as calories are concerned, not too bad either considering the quality and richness of each delectable bite. For example a 40G portion (ample for 1-2 people) of the Espresso bar is a mere 200 calories. Not bad, not bad at all. This is a treat after all, not a main course for a meal. We all need our indulgences don't we? And if I'm going to splurge on the calories and fat, I want to make it worthwhile.

Another thing I appreciate about these bars is their relative low cost, considering the quality you are getting. At our local food co-op, these bars sell for less than $4.CDN each. Definitely reasonable. And over at Amazon, in addition to single bars,10 and 5 packs of bars are also available at a discount IF you dare to keep more than one of these luscious bars in the fridge at any given time!

Here's some background information about how the Green And Black's company began, from their beautifully designed website:

"It all started back in 1991 when Craig Sams, founder of Whole Earth – the UK's pioneering organic food company – was sent a sample of dark 70% chocolate made from organic cocoa beans.
His wife, Josephine Fairley, environment columnist for The London Times and confirmed chocoholic, found the half eaten bar on Craig's desk and sampled some herself. The bold, rich flavor was unlike anything Jo had tasted before, and she was convinced other chocolate lovers would appreciate it in the same way.
Jo and Craig set out to bring to the masses the world's first organic chocolate. The result was a high-quality, bittersweet dark chocolate bar, packed with 70% cocoa solids - enough to make chocolate fans sit up and take notice.
Not surprisingly, the brand began to build a loyal following. Then in 1994, while Jo and Craig were vacationing in Belize, they discovered how local cocoa farmers were being harmed by decreasing cocoa prices. They agreed to pay the farmers a fair price for their crops and created the flavor of Maya Gold®, which was inspired by the ancient Kukuh drink traditionally enjoyed by the Mayan farmers.
This way of doing business didn't seem different to them - it just seemed right and came naturally – and in the process, the Maya Gold brand earned the UK's first Fairtrade mark."

Jo and Craig, you've made a happy customer for life! Thanks for the real (chocolate) deal.
                           
Overall rating for this product: Excellent. 5 out of 5. 

11 comments:

  1. I love chocolate too, but most of do. I like having extra ones around to bring to a friend if they invite me over etc. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds very good, but I don't recognize the brand name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, I am not a chocoholic so I don't pay much attention to it. Let me explain, as a child I was allergic to chocolate and outgrew it as an adult, therefore, I just never got crazy over it although I do enjoy a chocolate once in awhile.
    Yes, I know, TMI

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love chocolate, and I've come to appreciate the dark stuff so long as it's in combination with some other flavor that's good. Can't do dark straight. This brand is new to me. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tammie, I love giving gifts, large and small. Chocolate bars are perfect for little gifts, aren't they? I actually gave one to a total stranger on Sunday, long story but short version, some one me and Joe were talking to at the mall, I had an abundance of chocolate in hand so offered this man one of the bars. He gratefully accepted. I can picture you being a very giving person too. Nice.

    Hi SandyL, If you like chocolate, do give these a try Sandy, you won't be sorry.

    Hi Teri, A lot of people are allergic to chocolate, I'm glad that's no longer a problem for you. I'm not sure what TMI refers to?

    Hi SandyC, I totally agree. That's one of the great things about these bars, the yummy ingredients added to the rich chocolate. The cherry ones are my favs as I mentioned above, rather unique I think. I've never had a cherry chocolate bar that even came close to these before. The other varieties I've tried are so delish too.

    Thanks for stopping in, G

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review. These chocolate bars are delcious and very good quality. I like the Almond ones and the Cherry ones the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS: To Teri, I had to look up TMI. I really need an internet-lingo dictionary LOL!!!

    Not too much information btw.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ger,
    I would agree with you about these bars. Having had the good fortune to eat one of the cherry and dark chocolate variety - I think it's about the tastiest and smoothest chocolate I've eaten. (I don't usually eat chocolate bars, but do enjoy them occasionally.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi I disagree....Sorry in the beginning it was not bad, but there are and is better kids on the block. if you want an indulgence then you need to try the organic & fairtrade chocolates from a Company called Feeding Your Imagination, the creator and inventor is apprently also a therapist and he uses essential oils in his chocolate...theeerrrrreeeee so so different and ive worked my way through the whole range and each one is pure mood indulgence,

    i'm sure if your a writer then they'd probaly send you a sample. Catherine got a wrapper here there web is www.feeding-your-imagination.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sitting in Denmark and surfing the internet to find a new place to buy Black&Green chocolate. I agree on the review and I wish that organic meant free of calories

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Brenda, Oh yummmm...re: the cherry and dark chocolate flavour, that's one of my favs.

    Hi Catherine, Thanks so much for the recommendation. Yes, I do get a lot of freebies to try out, might send them an email. sounds very good.

    Hi Denmark, If that ever happens re: the organic/free of calories, let me know LOL. Wouldn't that be great!!!

    Happy Weekend, G

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...