Sunday, June 9, 2013

Luna & Larry's Dark Chocolate Coconut Bliss Bars



 
If you're looking for a cool, delish and portable summer sweet treat, you might want to give Luna & Larry's Dark Chocolate Coconut Bliss Bars a try!
 
Truth be told, I'm kind of addicted to these coconut-based ice cream bars. I love everything about the taste: not too sweet, oh so chocolatety, smooth, velvety texture. Yummm....
 
 
A generous 89 ml. bar has only 170 calories. And these are satisfying calories, unlike a lot of other sugar-laden ice cream treats on the market, that just leave a person feeling tired and bloated afterwards.
 
 
 
Here's the ingredient list for this product:
  • Organic Coconut Milk (Organic Coconut, Water, Guar Gum)
  • Organic Agave Syrup
  • Organic Fair Trade Vanilla Extract
  • Organic Fair Trade Cocoa
  •  
  • Love that these ingredients are organic and Fair Trade too.
  •  
  • 
     Yes, the saturated fat level is rather high in these bars(45% of suggested daily requirements). But there is a lot of discussion about the positive aspects of eating fats from coconut-based products, you can read more about that here. Apparently, not all saturated fats are used by the body, in the same way. There are better choices when it comes to saturated fats and coconut milk is considered one of those.
     
    I've also tried the Naked Coconut Bars in this line and some of Luna & Larry's scoop-able treats, and  they are delish too.
     
    But if you're a chocolate fan, do give the Dark Chocolate Bliss Bars a try first. You'll be glad you did! ;<)
     
    Overall rating for this product: Very Good. 4 out of 5.
     
    

    15 comments:

    1. Excellent review. If you love coconut and chocolate, you'll love these ice cream bars. And yes, definitely healthier than some of the dairy ones out there. Love the organic ingredients too.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I love the organic ingredients too, so good to see more and more organic products of all types, available. And yes, if you like chocolate and coconut, these are a must to try!

        Delete
    2. Oh Yum I try to buy soy bars as often as I can ,cause they are so delicious, and no animals get hurt, it is the heaven of chocolate and heaven and of course I,ll look at it too, Ijust wished he store opened earlier than 9 'cause I would go at 7 or 8....oh well it is worth the wait lol

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I don't think I've tried any soy ice cream bars. Any brands you can mention? Coconut is another good non-dairy option. Yes, well worth the wait L, let me know if you give these a try. I think you'll love them.

        Delete
    3. Me and my sweet tooth should not have read this. Now I'm craving one!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. If you do try these Keith, you'll be craving more of them too. ;<)

        Delete
    4. Two of my favorite flavors...so I'm in.

      They really only have 4 ingredients? Wow....

      And no soy? I'm in.

      Jen

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Very simple ingredient lists for all of their products but so flavourful. And not too sweet either, I appreciate that. So many ice cream products of all kinds are overly sweet. These aren't, just plain yummy! :<)

        Let me know if you give these a try Jen.

        Delete
    5. Soy bars are pretty much the same except the ice cream has no lactose so it,s a little less smooth and the chocolate bars are regular but organic, and they very very good, another thing they have are little frozen ice sorbet in a little bowl and of course organic and to die for.....

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I disagree re: the soy bars being that similar L. I find the texture of these coconut bliss bars far superior to any soy ice cream products that I've tried. Also, the flavouring is so good as I mentioned above, not overly sweet. Again something I've noted with (too) many other types of non-dairy ice cream treats that I've tried. Luna and Larry have me hooked. :<)

        Delete
    6. the sad thing is it is 6 am and i want a chocolate bar....smiles...interesting info ont he fat from coconut too...

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes, it is interesting re: saturated fats. I think we need to keep an eye on how much fat we eat of any kind but nice to know that coconut is considered a healthier source of fat, when we do indulge a bit.

        No chocolate in the fridge at 6AM, Brian...you really must stock up on some of the essentials. ;<)

        Delete
    7. COCONUT is soooo good for you...'sides today I'm going shopping to Sol, all organic, all wonderufll, I will buy some yogourt (goat) and some cucumber carrots onions fruits and veg and red beets fresh and not in vinegar, or and probably a couple of bars of some kind?

      ReplyDelete
    8. I am of two minds about soy not sure so many reports blast it and so many others recommend it, but one think I know is to go organic

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm not against soy L, we eat quite a bit of it actually in soy milk and meat subs etc...but in terms of iced treats like this, I do think the coconut based ones are superior.

        You're lucky to have an all organic store to shop in, how cool is that. I wondered if there were stores like that already, here in Canada. :<)

        Delete

    Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...