Sunday, May 26, 2013

Lundberg Rice Chips


 
I'm all for healthy snack choices like: fresh fruits, raw seeds and nuts, raw veggies etc...but sometimes, I crave a REAL "chip" snack and nothing else will do. Unfortunately, many of the healthier versions of these types of snacks leave a lot to be desired. Bland, tasteless and anything but snack-o-licious. 
 
I recently tried Lundberg Rice Chips for the first time and this is one healthier chip snack that delivers and in a big way. Oh so yummy, great flavours, a satisfying crunchy texture and with an ingredient list that won't make you cringe. 
                                                                               
 
Here's what's in the Fiesta Lime flavoured chips:
 

Organic whole grain brown rice, organic rice flour (organic whole brown rice flour, organic rice flour), high oleic expeller-pressed safflower or sunflower oil, organic whole masa corn flour, organic sesame seeds, less than 2% of the following: salt, dried cane syrup, organic nonfat dry milk, organic buttermilk powder, tartaric acid, citric acid, organic rice concentrate, dried parsley, lime oil, and natural caramel color.

 
 
Some additional information from the Lundberg site about these Rice Chips:
 
Now made with 70% organic ingredients and all organic grains, you'll find them in new updated packaging with bright vibrant colors and a matte finish, making them easier to spot on your grocery store shelves. The Whole Grain Stamp and the Non-GMO Verified logo have been added to every bag so you know you're getting a wholesome, healthy-for-you snack. And when you check out those nutrition labels, you'll notice we listened to your concerns about yeast extracts, removing them from our ingredients.

***
 
Gluten free, no trans fats, non GMO and approx. 300 calories per 20 chips. And these are nice big triangular chips. Most of them in the bag are whole too, not a bunch of broken up pieces; I appreciate that. A 170 gram bag sells for about $3.50 locally, so comparable to other "junkier" brands of chips and cheesy-type snacks and with some nutritional value going for them, unlike so many popular mainstream snack items.

One negative: they are fried not baked, that's one thing I wish they could change.

***
 
I've tried several of the flavours already and they've all been good but my favs are:
 
 Fiesta Lime, Santa Fe Barbecue and Honey Dijon.
 
If you've been looking for a better snack alternative that actually tastes good and satisfies that "gotta have chips" craving, give Lundberg Rice Chips a try. They won't replace carrot sticks when it comes to "good for you" but they certainly are a better choice when it comes to chip-type snacks.
 
  
 
Overall rating for this product: Very Good. 4 out of  5.
 
 
 
 
 


16 comments:

  1. I haven't had the Lime one yet but they are fabulous, I agree, now when I get an urge for crunch and chip like I rice chip...they are delish def 5 stars, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lime ones are delish, I think you'll like these L!

      Delete
  2. I haven't tried these chips. I wonder if they are low glycemic. When I want a chip, I go to Mary's Gone Crackers. They are quite tasty. Have you tried them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you click through to their site, they have a lot more info. about all of their products. I'll have to check out Mary's Gone Crackers although I don't think they have them here in Canada.

      Delete
  3. Excellent review. These are definitely the best rice chips I've tasted, some of the other brands are just awful. A snack still has to taste good, not just be a healthier choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could eat these rice chips every day and that's certainly not the case with a lot of the other rice-based snack products out there. I can think of a few that I NEVER want to eat again. LOL

      Delete
  4. I think we would call those tortillas in our shops.
    Delicious!
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. interesting. I love UK terminology! I learned a lot watching Corrie St. LOL but gave it up after 25 years of viewing as the story line was just getting too crazy!!! ;<)

      Delete
  5. huh never had these...we had the puffed veggie sticks which are really good...might have to give these a try...and will wrk my way back this week...nothing came to me sunday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian,I think you'll love these.

      The linky list at Woven Dreams has been acting wonky. L told me that several entries have disappeared and today the dates were all messed up. I've written to the linky guys about this. Hopefully a one off. Next week's prompt is going to be a fun one!

      Happy Wednesday, G

      Delete
  6. They do sound good...I know that Lumbberg rice is a really good brand...although kind of pricy here.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like their rice products too but these chips, well they are my new addiction. I have to be careful or I'd eat the whole bag at one time. Yes, that yummy, especially with some salsa dip or guacamole on the side. Yummmm....

      Delete
  7. next stop at SOL the only health and 100% organic store, I'm going to buy the Lime....so much fun too because I know the owners, the husband and I use to go to school together, it's so cool and not even 5 minutes away well maybe 10

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like my kind of store! Happy munching. :<)

      Delete
  8. I may have to try some of these. I hope you have a great weekend Geraldine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've tried these! In Honey Dijon and they're great! I like how crunchy they are too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...