Thursday, June 13, 2013

Come Home by Lisa Scottoline



I recently read: Come Home by Lisa Scottoline.
 
I'm usually (more) intrigued and interested in reading a novel that has a wide range of ratings/reviews and that was certainly the case with this book.  
 
The story's main character: Jill Farrow is a pediatrician. She is middle-aged, divorced and starting a new life with Sam, the man she is living with and plans to marry. She is also the mother of Megan, who is thirteen and former step-mom to Abby and Victoria.
 
 
From the Amazon product page:
 
Jill Farrow is a typical suburban mom who has finally gotten her and her daughter's lives back on track after a divorce. She is about to remarry, her job as a pediatrician fulfills her---though it is stressful---and her daughter, Megan, is a happily over-scheduled thirteen-year-old juggling homework and the swim team.
But Jill’s life is turned upside down when her ex-stepdaughter, Abby, shows up on her doorstep late one night and delivers shocking news: Jill’s ex-husband is dead. Abby insists that he was murdered and pleads with Jill to help find his killer. Jill reluctantly agrees to make a few inquiries and discovers that things don’t add up. As she digs deeper, her actions threaten to rip apart her new family, destroy their hard-earned happiness, and even endanger her own life. Yet Jill can’t turn her back on a child she loves and once called her own.
Come Home reads with the breakneck pacing of a thriller while also exploring the definition of motherhood, asking the questions: Do you ever stop being a mother? Can you ever have an ex-child? What are the limits to love of family? 
 
 
 On the plus side:
 
The story has some unexpected twists and turns. Jill attempts to help step-daughter Abby find out what happened to her ex-husband/Abby's father, who Abby is convinced, was murdered, in spite of everyone else's thoughts to the contrary that he accidentally overdosed on prescription drugs. The more that Jill looks into the events that led up to her ex's recent death, the more she agrees with Abby's beliefs that this actually was a murder.
 
The pace of this book is ultra-fast with well-defined characters.

  The story of a family, an "ex" family brought together again in crisis and a murder mystery, all combined.

 
 
 
And a couple of things that didn't ring true for me.
 
Not to spoil the story, but at one point Jill is ready to hand over highly incriminating evidence to someone who could definitely be one of the "bad guys". This was not believable at a point in the story when there are numerous suspects still to consider.
 
Also, on more than one occasion she is talking on her hand-held cell phone when driving. Again, this didn't ring true for me. Would a doctor do something this stupid after what they see in hospitals as the result of people using phones when driving? I think not.
 
If you're a fan of Lisa Scottoline's work (and she certainly has plenty of loyal fans) you'll probably want to read this book and decide for yourself.
 
I enjoyed the story but I think it could have been more engaging and believable, with a few tweaks to the plot.
 
 
Overall rating for this book: Good. 3 out of 5.

 
 
 


18 comments:

  1. probably a fair assessment of scottoline...i used to read her stuff a while back but stopped...probably a skipper for me...smiles

    have a great rest of your week as well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read one of her earlier books (can't remember the title right now) and I enjoyed it more than this one. But that's the way with any author I think. Can't please all the readers, all the time. ;<)

      Enjoy that Eastern sunshine, it looks hot there!

      Delete
  2. It sounds like a mixed-up story. I would expect a few sad moments along the way. Examples should be set in books as much as in life so authors should be beware ... thinking about the doctor phoning and driving at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed some of the story but I did think it could have been better.

      I notice things like that re: the cell phone use in car, I'm sure other readers did too. And for a doctor to be doing this, well...as I said above, it didn't ring true.

      I think talking or texting while driving is so wrong and so dangerous. Still see it happening here though. :<(

      Delete
  3. I do like her, and am probably going to read her books to see what I think of it.

    Have a great break...

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know Jen. Yes, I've got a blog break coming up too. I hope yours is wonderful, productive and relaxing. :<)

      Delete
  4. I haven't read this book, not sure if I will. Sounds like it has some good points but I agree, when there are points in a book that don't ring true, it takes away from the enjoyment of reading the story. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the small details Joe, it can make or break a story.

      Delete
  5. I've never read her but I have some books from her, I must be mistaken about the name "cause she's a lawyer or prosecutor, but I do remember seeing something about her daughter being kidnapped, I haven' t read it yet but it can't be from her series...still you've made me curious better check my library in the kitchen (what else am I gonna do in my kitchen) lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her daughter is an author too, that might be another reason that the last name sounds familiar. Books in the kitchen eh? Don't you think those should be COOK books!!! ;<) Just kidding, I know you don't like cooking L.

      Delete
  6. I may have to check this book out sometime. Have a wonderful wonderful weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That I didn't know that could explain it....if you check my new home and go way down you will see all the decorations and bookcases in the kitchen, and carpet and it's really beautiful lol had to tease you a little

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to stop in at your appt. blog again L, that's an interesting idea you've got there, sharing your decorating etc...:<)

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed your review. I'm picky about the books I read. I enjoy memoirs and most of the books I have read have been made into movies. Ex: 'White Oleander', 'Mystic River', 'Gone Baby Gone', 'Deep End of the Ocean', or 'Lincoln Lawyer'.
    Thank you for your compliments on my blog. I did sign up for SheWrites but I'm not sure if it will benefit me as much as being on Google+ and submitting my poetry to magazines. I have had a Facebook account since 2010 that I opened on pure boredom. It was around November that I started blogging and I actually had not shared my poetry with anyone except a couple close friends. Twitter has helped people find my blog. I'm fairly new to all the social media networks, so I'm learning as I go. Facebook is a good place for you to open a page and share your reviews on products.
    I hope that answered your question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donetta. I appreciate your movie/book suggestions and your thoughts on SheWrites etc.. I did pick up one very useful idea there already, just browsing around this morning. I've got multiple book projects on the go right now and am trying to plan the best way to go about promoting my work.

      You can waste a LOT of time if you don't make the right moves in this respect. I've been fortunate to get some excellent suggestions from people "in the know" recently and I've been very grateful for their advice.

      Facebook is something I will not do, for a number of reasons. I did have an acct. there but even in that short time, there was a security breach. Just too many problems that can happen over there. I do think I might look into SheWrites though, still undecided.

      Have a great week to all, G

      Delete
  9. I read this book last year and loved it. For whatever reason it struck a cord with me. I do like this author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this novel Teri!

      Delete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...