Tuesday, February 8, 2011

KD SMART Pasta Dinner

        OK, I admit it.

I am a long-time and probably will be lifetime KD FAN!


An "addiction" that I never grew out of. I know that I'm in good company in that respect. There are a lot of KD lovers out there, some admit it, some don't.LOL And for me, being a "foodie"/cookbook author  has not changed that either. Not that we make this a diet staple by any means, but as the saying goes sometimes: "it's just gotta be KD".




So when the new "Smart" version of Kraft Dinner came out, I was interested in seeing what they had created in terms of a hopefully healthier but still classic KD flavoured mac and cheese in a flash. It seems that more and more mainstream food companies are looking for ways to add nutritional value to their family favs.



I don't know if much can be said in that respect when it comes to the new KD Smart (a serving is suppose to contain the equivalent of a 1/2 serving of cooked vegetables)  but the taste is just fine IF you like cauliflower. And yes, I do. If they are trying to corner the market on picky-eaters who hate all veggies, I don't think that's going to happen with KD Smart. It has a definite cauliflower flavour in my opinion. Not unpleasant but again, not for someone who loathes this veggie. Read more about KD Smart ingredient/nutritional info. here.


I have found that it takes less time to cook the pasta in this mix, about 5 minutes instead of the usual 8-9 minutes that the regular KD pasta requires. The Smart pasta tends to clump a bit, if left to cook longer or not prepared ready to serve right away.


I think it's a step in the right direction when it comes to a family convenience favorite but I still wouldn't call this nutritious fare. Add some veggies on the side though, a scoop of tomato salsa to top it and it does make for an adequate lunch or light supper. If it's "gotta be KD" in your home this is a product that is worth a try. As long as you aren't expecting the exact replica of KD Original. If that's the case, this isn't it.


Overall rating for this product: Good. 3 out of 5.

5 comments:

  1. Ger, did you hear the CBC interview on "As it Happens" (between 6 and 8 p.m. weekdays), about a year ago, when they interviewed a man in the states who has a record for eating the most Kraft dinner, in North America? He apparently eats it every day, and so they sent him the new dinner you have reviewed for his opinion. He prefers the old dinner, and didn't like the cauliflower taste. (I personally would probably be o.k. with it, as I do love cauliflower) It was a cute interview, and he seems like a very ordinary family person apart from his inclination to eat this food every day. (His daughter said the house always smells of KD, but she didn't seem very bothered by it.)

    I like making homebaked macaroni and cheese like my Mom made it with thick slices of cheddar cheese on top, but then I do smother it with ketchup.

    Now and then I like to buy Kraft dinner, it's economical and quick, and does taste very good. (My son says so too)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya girlie, I am a K D lover myself but hub hates it and so I rarely eat it anymore cos a whole box is a bit much for one person. I wonder if they make this smart KD in the easy mac small packs cos i LOVE cauliflower and I would totally try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smart concept, horrible tasting product. It tasted so bad, I had to Google it to make sure I wasn't going crazy. If you can get past the whole gritty texture, weird tasting pasta then by all means, it's a very innovative way to get your vegetable intake! I'll just eat whole vegetables, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rosita, Since I wrote this review, they've changed the texture of the pasta and the sauce mix. The Original Smart KD was delish but I don't see that type on the shelves anymore. I agree, some of the new ones they are selling now in the KD Smart line are gross. Thanks for stopping in.

    I like veggies so that's not a problem for me either LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My 7 year old son tried it and hated it. I didn't care for it either. We will stick to the original. Can't go wrong with that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...