Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Finding Kate Huntley by Theresa Ragan





As I blogged about recently here I've been focused on a number of writing projects, including a novel, in the past few months.
                                                   
It's a daunting task to write and to complete a novel. At least that's been my experience so far. It's been thrilling, energizing, frustrating, at times- all-consuming. And along the way, it's been other writers, bloggers, friends and loved ones who have kept me going, when I just didn't feel like continuing.

One of the most talented, inspiring and encouraging people I've met in the past few months, is author: Theresa Ragan. If you aren't familiar with Theresa's books yet, you will be. This woman is an achiever and then some!

Here's an Interview with Theresa from the CreateSpace website that gives an overview of just some of this author's amazing accomplishments to date. And Theresa is not just an achiever when it comes to writing novels, she's one terrific and supportive person too.

Stop by Theresa's blog for  more information about her life, work and to read more about all of her books.

After I got to know Theresa online, I was eager to read some of her work. I started off with the novel: Finding Kate Huntley, a suspense-packed thriller that takes the reader on a fast-paced and memorable journey.

When lead character, Kate Huntley is only 15 years old, she witnesses the murder of her beloved father, while they are on board a boat vacationing in the Caribbean.

Her father, who had been a respected, well-known US scientist, had warned her just before his untimely death, to "trust no one". It is a warning that Kate takes to heart and never forgets, spending the next 10 years of her life in hiding; living in one of the poorest countries in the Western Hemisphere, Haiti.
                                     
 In spite of the poverty and other difficulties of living in this foreign and unfamiliar place, Kate learns to love Haiti and many of the gentle and kind native people she gets to know. But she also never forgets her father's warning and endures the ache of losing him, year after year. Kate vows to find the person(s) responsible no matter how long it takes, find out why and to avenge his death.

                                                       
Fast-forward to Kate at 25, still living and working in Haiti. She is recognized by Jack Coffey, rookie FBI agent who has been sent by the agency to find Ms. Huntley and bring her back to the States where they are also still trying to find the reasons behind her father's murder and to solve the case.
 Jack Coffey works first of all, to gain Kate's trust, not an easy assignment in itself. Then to complete his FBI duties to get her back to the (supposedly) safer US, where Kate had been born and to hopefully and finally unravel the mystery of her father's death. Along the way, there is romance, intrigue and lots of surprises and awakenings for both Kate and Jack.

Although this would not normally be "my kind of book" to read (I've never been a real fan of thrillers, crime stories etc) I found myself turning page after page, anxious to see how things would turn out. I don't want to spoil the plot....so I'll leave the details for you to enjoy!

Theresa Ragan shows an attention to details that is commendable. She not only is a compelling writer and takes the time to develop each chapter throughout the book; Theresa also ties up ALL the loose ends, at the conclusion of the story. I appreciate that. You would think that would be a given for any well-written/regarded novel, but as any avid reader knows, that's just not the reality, for too many books.
                                                
If you are looking for a fast-paced, engaging novel with plenty of twists, turns and romance along the way, you'll want to check out: Finding Kate Huntley by Theresa Ragan. Available in print and ebook formats.

Overall rating for this book: Very Good. 4 out of 5.    

6 comments:

  1. I'm always looking for a good read and a new author...thanks for the recommendation.

    Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

    And yes cooler is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an excellent review. Sounds like an interesting story. I might give this a read myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jen, I am too. Let me know if you read and like this book.

    Hi SandyL, And you too Sandy, ditto Jen's comment above.

    Hi Joe, It was an intriguing story. Read this one in a couple of days and that's always an indication of my interest level on high. ;<)

    Happy Reading and Weekend, G

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geraldine,
    I did enjoy reading the interview with Thereasa at Creataspace. I found her inspiring - good for her for finding the way to have her books read! I liked her determination to write, and self-publish.
    I plan to read the book you've reviewed here, it sounds like a good read.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know what you're doing G. beeing a writer means you can't be anything else,you can't do anything else, you can't review, you can't write poetry, you forget you have a cat you forget to eat you're too good a reviewer to give it up and I'm telling as a prolific reader I need reviews more...because I can't afford to waste money at all....so you're work is crucial don't underestimate the service your provide is more important than entertainment, no offense to the writer I love books, but there things that are more necessary, more important, like you

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...