Friday, December 16, 2011

Seventh Generation Dishwashing Liquid


On a recent hurried trip to the grocery store, I picked up a bottle of Seventh Generation Dishwashing Liquid,  as my dishsoap of choice these days: Nature Clean (click to read review) was not available at that particular store.

I didn't bother to read the ingredient list on the bottle at the time. And when I got home, I noted something rather strange about the label. It had a top layer that (with difficulty) peeled-back to reveal a second label underneath. It was there that I found the ingredient list.

From the Amazon product page: Ingredients: Aqua (water), sodium lauryl sulfate, lauramine oxide, decyl glucoside and lauryl polyglucose (plant-derived cleaning agents), 1,3 -propanediol (plant-derived foam stabilizer), citric acid (cornstarch-derived water so_ener), sodium chloride (thickener), magnesium chloride (cleaning enhancer), 2-Methyl-4-isothiazolin-3-one & 1,2-Benzisothiazolin-3-one (MIT/BIT) and 5-Chloro-2-methyl-4-isothiazolin-3-one (preservatives).

 
What an eye-opener that was to read!

Right after the water, sodium lauryl sulfate (a suspected carcinogen) often used in various cleansers because it is cheap. And this at the top of the list, in a supposedly "natural" dishwashing product! The rest of the list didn't read much better.  Was the sticky, peel-back label there so that consumers wouldn't bother to read what was inside the bottle?

 I had heard about Seventh Generation products for many years but up until this time, had never bought one. As for trying this product, well that didn't happen. I did take it back to the store for a refund and even the customer service rep. who refunded my money was surprised to note what was in this so-called "green" dishwashing liquid. May as well buy the mainstream brands of dishwashing liquid if you aren't concerned about what goes on your dishes, right?

This kind of trickery and misleading of consumers, especially when it comes to supposedly better choices and greener products, really makes me mad!
                          
I found this so disheartening too, considering that many people don't take the time to read ingredient lists still but rather go by a company's reputation for "walking the talk" when it comes to providing a product they can feel good or at least better about using.

Personally, this will be my first and last purchase of any of the Seventh Generation products. I wouldn't trust or support them now, even if they do "clean up their act" in the future.

Overall rating for this product: BAD. 0 out of 5.

8 comments:

  1. How wonderful of you, and that is just so plain wrong, sodium lauryl sulfate is a real danger and they cover it up oh sickening and who would think to check anything but what they see...YOU DO, that's why we need you...you are a lifesaver, I love you for that...and for many other things, you should get paid, I would but I have no money

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the insight! Yeesh. I am glad you are on top of things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geraldine,
    This was interesting!
    Good for you for returning the product, as it wasn't what it seemed to be.Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and also about something i noticed down on the left dry food for cats really 'cause I always thought you had to feed can food because it contained water and cats didn't drink enough water and only dry food would be bad for them???????what say you Madame Reviewer?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wouldn't you know, this is in our stores, and it is not good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lorraine, You are so kind! I hope my reviews have been helpful; that's great to read. I find it rather shocking actually about the ingredients in this "green" product and then the sticker label made it even worse.

    Re: the cat food, we give the Ched a combo of wet and dry cat food. For the most part, kibble and a couple of nights a week, a can of Taste of the Wild. He is the picture of health so seems to be good choices for him. I think cats naturally drink more water when they eat dry cat food. It seems that way, watching Ched. I think the main thing is to choose good quality cat foods (both types) with no questionable ingredients like "meat by products" which unfortunately is what so many people do feed their pets. If you want an eye-opener, do a search for what that term really means. :<(

    Hi SandyC, I'm glad you enjoy my reviews Sandy, great to read this!

    Hi Brenda, I think that is the way to go when a product doesn't meet our expectations. Consumer demand is what drives the market, isn't it? One of the areas that always comes to mind in that respect is "organics" . Only a few years ago, this meant a few overly-ripe, pricey fruits and veggies, in the corner of the produce section. Now organic is everywhere and applies to so many products. Our buying choices do make a huge difference, in the big picture.

    Hi SandyL, Yes, this brand is everywhere, including the health food stores. I'm glad better choices are available too and online is another option, if local is limited for choice. In our small city, that can be a problem at times too.

    Happy Weekend, G :<)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh I want to cryand kill everyonein that industry maybe they'd like a little taste of roadkiller, thank God for you, I feel sick tomy stomach, I'm returning the cans and the hard stuff full of meat by-product and then look for anything from biological places or hell I'll feed them real chicken and real tuna cans and salmon and I don't care how much it cost, is it any wonder that all three are at one day or another sick....plus they want us to recycle cat food non eaten oh my God, I'm never eating again never ever...well crap

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a rip-off. I've heard about this company for many years too. I also thought it was better than the mainstream brands. I guess we have to be aware and informed when it comes to all companies and products. Thank goodness for ingredient lists now although they still aren't on all products. Excellent review.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...