Saturday, August 11, 2012

belVita Breakfast Biscuits







 I recently noted an ad for belVita Breakfast Biscuits  in a local grocery store flyer.

As a person who is not a big-breakfast eater on most days (exception: Sundays when my dear Joe makes a late morning "fry-up" fit for royalty, that I enjoy immensely!!!) I was eager to check this new product out. Even planned to purchase some, until I started doing some checking online.

I've thought for a very long time that Kraft Foods is lagging well behind many other food manufacturers when it comes to truly addressing the needs and wants of increasingly savvy consumers who are looking for quality products that really do "walk the talk".

The days of shoppers being at the mercy of the food "giants" with their clever marketing campaigns (often targeting young children with sugary junk) and lulling us all into believing that we can take their word at face value when it comes to (supposedly) wholesome, nutritious products, is long gone!

Hooray, and hooray again for ingredient lists and the Internet!
                                                     

belVita is a "shortcut" attempt by Kraft/Nabisco to jump on the current and growing market trend for better, more nutritious snack and breakfast foods. Unfortunately, they've fallen short of the mark, again!
                                

Check out the ingredients in the belVita Golden Oat Flavour: whole grain blend (rolled oats, rye flakes), enriched flour [wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate (vitamin b1), riboflavin (vitamin b2), folic acid], high oleic canola oil, sugar, evaporated cane sugar, whole grain wheat flour, malt syrup (from corn and barley), invert sugar, baking soda, salt, soy lecithin, disodium pyrophosphate, datem, ferric orthophosphate (iron), niacinamide, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin b6), riboflavin (vitamin b2), thiamin mononitrate (vitamin b1).

Nothing new or noteworthy here. Plenty of sources of refined sugar though. Nothing organic either.

Come on Kraft, join the 21st Century!
                                                                  

 This is nothing more than a glorified cookie, cleverly marketed as a healthy breakfast option.



Comes complete with some cutsey marketing tactics: belVita "in action" video

The nutritional "benefits" albeit limited of belVita.
                                                        

Do these companies really think that the majority of consumers are still this gullible?
                              

A couple of other points I noted at one of many belVita sites. They suggest repeatedly that these are to be eaten with other healthy foods such as a glass of milk, yogurt...to help sustain a person and stave off hunger for 4 hours. Maybe with the addition of other higher- protein foods, that might work. But with just 4 grams of protein in these breakfast cookies, they certainly aren't going to do the job on their own! A good "hit" of quality protein is in the 15-20 grams range for an average person per meal.

These cookies sell for about $3-4 per 250 gram box. For the price of a couple of boxes, a person could easily make a batch of energy bars at home that would be a lot better nutritionally and probably taste-wise too.

As one of many quick breakfast/snack alternatives: here's a popular recipe for  No-Bake Energy Bars from my cookbook: Not Just for Vegetarians that you might want to try. They certainly are tasty, filling, kid-approved and easy to make too.

 Countless other recipes for energy bars and other quick breakfast options online too.  If you need "breakfast on the go" you don't have to settle for something as lame and lacking as  belVita Breakfast Biscuits are.

And one more thing, what's with the letter casing for the name of  this product? Is that suppose to make it better? Or does Kraft have 4 year olds in their marketing department these days LOL!


Overall rating for this product: BAD. 0 out of 5. 

7 comments:

  1. It is not something I would buy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geraldine, tell it like it is!!! Way to go! I saw those at the store, and took a quick look, after reeling from the price, expensive for what you got.

    Glad I didn't buy what looks like a overpriced unappetizing cookie.

    Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review and so true. What are these companies thinking? They are so far behind when it comes to market trends. And trends that are not going away. I agree, join the 21st Century, Kraft.

    ReplyDelete
  4. txs, knowledge is power, but heck I'll forgive them I've always loved their mac and cheese, and I don't care if the cardboard has more nutrition, I love my mac and cheese, In fact I use to come home when I was a little girl and my mom would have my bowl of macaroni and cheese ready for me. All morning at school I looked forward to seeing my mom and my macaroni and cheese. but thanks for the review :) and no my Sammi isnot back

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi SandyL, A waste of money and calories.

    Hi Jen, I try! ;<) On top of being nutritionally lacking (big time) they do look unappealing tastewise. I'd rather have a homemade energy bar, any day!

    Hi Joe, The times, they are a changin' but it seems that Kraft is not getting the message. This is a trend that is NOT going away. Remember only a few years ago when organics were so few and far between, now they've become an industry standard for so many foods, not just produce. It's all good! And we do make a statement with our buying preferences. Buy junk, they'll keep putting it on the shelf...and vice versa.

    Hi Lorraine, I love KD too, I admit it! I don't eat it like I use to though, these days. Again, I prefer homemade mac and cheese, soooo good, if at all possible. I'm so sorry about Sammi. Keep a good thought, keep checking all the place you can, posters...I hope she returns soon.

    Thanks for stopping in and for your comments. Always appreciated, G

    ReplyDelete
  6. She has and although she lost so much weight...and is so scared I'll love to health thank you m'dear

    ReplyDelete
  7. She hasn't yet, but I have to move anyway, the ceiling's crumbling and I have Kimmi and Mikey to think about I'm hoping that once i'm moved in providing they still have an apt for me, I dont' expect the one I was luckyt o get It was themost wanted corner apt...the views, splendid, everyday though Iwil walk from my apt to the old house so that Sammi cathes my scent and can find me, if or when she's ready to come home, but once out I'm afraid she won't be happy inside anymore, I could but a collar on her but how could she come back to an apt....I'm praying to God that she comes back before I move, please pray for Sammi that she happy wherever she is....and that maybe one day I find her again...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...