Friday, October 28, 2011

Crofter's Organic Just Fruit Spread



I've been on a quest for some time now to find a really good, no-sugar added fruit spread or as I still think of them, fruit jam. Well, I finally found a true "jam-gem" !

I am just loving Crofter's Organic Just Fruit Spread!  I've got a jar of the Black Currant flavour right now, that's going down oh so quickly!


 Here is some information about this product from the Crofter's website:


"Fragrant black currants, better known in France as “cassis,” have a distinct, tart flavor. This European shrub berry is uncommon to North America, but once you’ve enjoyed a warm, buttery biscuit lathered with our Black Currant Just Fruit Spread, we think it’ll be your new favorite. These deep purple berries are laden with polyphenols and vitamin C. Available in 10 oz jars.

All seven of our Just Fruit Spreads are made with 100% fruit ingredients using concentrated organic grape juice as a sweetener. We source our concentrate from an Italian winemaker who understands both the art and science of working with grapes.
Although producing a high-quality fruit-juice-sweetened spread can be technically challenging, our Sicilian grape master’s methods yield a concentrate that gives our fruit spreads a perfect texture and spreadability — without compromising color and flavor."
And my kind of ingredient list. From the Crofter's Just Fruit Spread Black Currant label: Concentrated organic grape juice, organic black currants, natural apple pectin, ascorbic acid (vit. c), citric acid.



What's so different about Crofter's Just Fruit Spread?

  • First and foremost, it's just the right sweetness, a bit tart actually and definitely not like so many other similar jams that are filled with added sugar and thickeners and not much when it comes to fruit. Full of flavour.

  • And speaking of fruit, there are lots of black currants in this jam. Nice and chunky!


  • I even like the label. Such a cute black bear!

  • Price was right too. Less than $5. CDN. for the 235 ML. jar. The U.S. size on their site is 10 oz. which is a bit bigger than the one I have. Crofter's products are available at stores throughout Canada and the U.S. Also online at the Crofter's site for U.S. customers.

  • Calories, ok. 35 calories in a 15 ML/1 Tablespoon serving.

And if you've ever wondered what the different names for jams, jellies....mean, Crofter's has a information page about the various terms here.  For me, it's still just JAM! And this one is tres yummy! And that's what really matters.

I'm looking forward to trying all 7 flavours of Crofter's Organic Just Fruit Spread.
 It's available in: Apricot, Blackberry, Raspberry,Strawberry, SuperFruit, Wild Blueberry in addition to the Black Currant.

If you've been looking for a really good, no-sugar added, commercial fruit spread/jam, give Crofter's a try. I think you'll be glad you did. A superior product.

Now I'm off to make a piece of toast. Topped with a generous dollop of Crofter's Just Fruit Spread, of course!


Overall rating for this product: Excellent. 5 out of 5.
Updated rating (as of June 12- see comment below) Fair. 2 out of 5.

9 comments:

  1. We don't have this brand, but if we did, I would like it. That is, if black currant jam tastes anything like red currant jam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geraldine,
    You make this sound like a jam I certainly would like to try.Unsweetened or less sweetening is always good, I think.
    I also like this cute label. :)
    I'll have to look for it here.
    Have a good weekend!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum I"m looking it up txs madame Reviewer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi SandyL, Crofter's is available at store across the US and Canada so I'm guessing it would be, close to where you live.It is definitely worth looking for! This is the first time I've tried a currant flavour of jam, it's so delish.

    Hi Brenda, I hope you like it. And yes, the label is so cute, I agree.

    Hi Lorraine, It is yummy.

    Happy Weekend, G :<)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent review. I'm a jam-lover too. This is the best commercial jam I've ever tasted. It really is superior. I'm looking forward to trying more of their flavours too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm... that actually sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds yummy, I'm always on the lookout for sugar free jams and spreads for hubby. Personally I like peanut butter better but sometimes toast and jam is the only thing that will do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joe, All the flavours sound so tempting. It was great to find such a good jam product. I had almost given up on the commercial ones LOL.

    Hi Rumpy, It's very good!

    Hi Cathy, I think you'll both like it. Let me know if you give it a try.

    Thanks for your comments, G :<)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Re: Updated rating as of June 12.


    In the past few weeks, I have purchased 3 flavors of Crofter's spreads, from two different sources, one a local store, the other online. The texture of these spreads were all very different than what I had enjoyed and rated as a 5 previously.


    No longer any nice big chunks of fruit. The consistency is almost gel-like (and before being stored in the fridge, I checked that possibility too). No longer clear, fresh color either. Now similar to so many other ho-hum, fruit spreads that are commercially available now, I'm sad to say.

    I did contact the company and was assured that they haven't changed their processing practises. They did send along a couple of coupons to try again.

    Fourth jar, Blackberry, same thing. Jelly-like, no chunks of fruit, pulverized texture. I don't know why this has been the case, for four of these jars if nothing has changed at their company.

    For now,I'm back to my search for a really good no-sugar jam/spread again. Crofter's just isn't what it used to be, at least in my recent experience.

    GH

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...